Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Which 3-W Classic.
Which 3-W Classic.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th January 2018, 05:51 PM   #1
1275gt is offline 1275gt
diyAudio Member

Default Which 3-W Classic.

Hi.
IM thinking of Building one of Troels Gravesens 3-W Classics.
Bott SB acoustic. Seas and scanspeak looks like the same price.
Has anyone listened and compared these three speakers?
Any suggestions on which one is the best of this three versions?
Old 14th January 2018, 06:38 AM   #2
Fernando R is offline Fernando R  United States
diyAudio Member

In his "Choices" section, he recommends them all but the one he goes a little extra on is the Scan Speak Discovery. He says "I can't recommend this speaker enough if you're looking for a cost-efficient speaker that delivers a midrange that compares to speakers 2-3 times its price." The 10F8414 mid has a large following in the Full Range community.
Old 14th January 2018, 07:24 AM   #3
fatmarley is offline fatmarley  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando R View Post
In his "Choices" section, he recommends them all but the one he goes a little extra on is the Scan Speak Discovery. He says "I can't recommend this speaker enough if you're looking for a cost-efficient speaker that delivers a midrange that compares to speakers 2-3 times its price." The 10F8414 mid has a large following in the Full Range community.
+1
Old 14th January 2018, 08:15 AM   #4
Alex M is offline Alex M  Europe
diyAudio Member

I got the same impression from Troels' description.

The one caveat is that the SEAS version has a 1-2dB higher sensitivity, so might be marginally more suitable for low-powered amplifiers. That is why I settled on it over the Discovery version (the SBA and AT Classics weren't published at that point).

Alex
Old 15th January 2018, 04:47 AM   #5
a3cervo is offline a3cervo  Philippines
diyAudio Member

I can't give any feedback about the Seas and SB Acoustics versions but I finished building my ScanSpeak 3way classic about a month ago and very happy with its sound. Here are a couple of pics:
Click the image to open in full size.edit_1 by A Cervo, on Flickr

Click the image to open in full size.edit_2 by A Cervo, on Flickr
Old 15th January 2018, 05:05 AM   #6
cph2000 is offline cph2000  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I would think that the AT is the best sounding, the SBA the best value and the discovery the best compromise, but I have not heard any of them so this is pure speculation....
Old 15th January 2018, 05:50 AM   #7
Fernando R is offline Fernando R  United States
diyAudio Member

Reading his comments again, I gather that the Scan Speak Classic (not discovery) with the 21W/8555 and the SBA with the SB23NRX excelled in the bass department even over the Audio Technology. He did make some favorable comments about the Discovery bass but seemed most enthused about the other 2. But he does call the A-T his desert island speaker within this group, even if the bass was not the best. But that one is in a different league cost wise. He was very enthused about the Discovery 10F mid to the point of testing the driver separately. He also mentioned the mid-tweeter integration in the Discovery as being exceptional.

Too bad we can't A-B audition them.
Old 15th January 2018, 06:04 AM   #8
merlinx76 is offline merlinx76  Canada
diyAudio Member

Wow a3cervo, those came out beautiful!

I agree that the description seems to give the edge to the Scan Speak. That woofer also seems to be a value leader so it has that going for it as well. The Scan Speak design is also higher impedance which is why the lower sensitivity. I have that model 10f fullrange but have not listened to it yet.
Old 15th January 2018, 01:22 PM   #9
Alex M is offline Alex M  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando R View Post
Reading his comments again, I gather that the Scan Speak Classic (not discovery) with the 21W/8555 and the SBA with the SB23NRX excelled in the bass department even over the Audio Technology. He did make some favorable comments about the Discovery bass but seemed most enthused about the other 2. But he does call the A-T his desert island speaker within this group, even if the bass was not the best. But that one is in a different league cost wise. He was very enthused about the Discovery 10F mid to the point of testing the driver separately. He also mentioned the mid-tweeter integration in the Discovery as being exceptional.
To add to the point I raised earlier about sensitivity, here are Troels' quoted sensitivities for the 3WCs:

AT: 90 dB/2.8 volts, 1 meter
SBA: 88 dB
SS Discovery: 88 dB
SEAS: 90-91 dB
SS 3WC-C: 86 dB

Quite a range of values, for a bunch of otherwise quite similar designs.

Remember that deeper bass for a given box size tends to be compromised (as a rule) by lower sensitivity, so we would be disappointed if the SS 3WC-C didn't outperform the others in this respect. Conversely, the AT has a higher sensitivity, so we might expect a less impressive low-frequency extension. On the other hand, the AT has a higher power handling (larger excursion), so benefits more from a bigger amplifier, which is likely to have a subjective effect on bass quality.

So you pays your money and you takes your choice...

Alex
Old 15th January 2018, 04:00 PM   #10
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Which 3-W Classic.
a3cervo,

The speakers look beautiful. Congratulations!

If I may ask, what genres have you tried out with them? Any heavy rock/metal?

Which 3-W Classic.Hide this!Advertise here!