Which 3-W Classic.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In his "Choices" section, he recommends them all but the one he goes a little extra on is the Scan Speak Discovery. He says "I can't recommend this speaker enough if you're looking for a cost-efficient speaker that delivers a midrange that compares to speakers 2-3 times its price." The 10F8414 mid has a large following in the Full Range community.

Reading his comments again, I gather that the Scan Speak Classic (not discovery) with the 21W/8555 and the SBA with the SB23NRX excelled in the bass department even over the Audio Technology. He did make some favorable comments about the Discovery bass but seemed most enthused about the other 2. But he does call the A-T his desert island speaker within this group, even if the bass was not the best. But that one is in a different league cost wise. He was very enthused about the Discovery 10F mid to the point of testing the driver separately. He also mentioned the mid-tweeter integration in the Discovery as being exceptional.

Too bad we can't A-B audition them.

Wow a3cervo, those came out beautiful!

I agree that the description seems to give the edge to the Scan Speak. That woofer also seems to be a value leader so it has that going for it as well. The Scan Speak design is also higher impedance which is why the lower sensitivity. I have that model 10f fullrange but have not listened to it yet.

Reading his comments again, I gather that the Scan Speak Classic (not discovery) with the 21W/8555 and the SBA with the SB23NRX excelled in the bass department even over the Audio Technology. He did make some favorable comments about the Discovery bass but seemed most enthused about the other 2. But he does call the A-T his desert island speaker within this group, even if the bass was not the best. But that one is in a different league cost wise. He was very enthused about the Discovery 10F mid to the point of testing the driver separately. He also mentioned the mid-tweeter integration in the Discovery as being exceptional.

To add to the point I raised earlier about sensitivity, here are Troels' quoted sensitivities for the 3WCs:

AT: 90 dB/2.8 volts, 1 meter
SBA: 88 dB
SS Discovery: 88 dB
SEAS: 90-91 dB
SS 3WC-C: 86 dB

Quite a range of values, for a bunch of otherwise quite similar designs.

Remember that deeper bass for a given box size tends to be compromised (as a rule) by lower sensitivity, so we would be disappointed if the SS 3WC-C didn't outperform the others in this respect. Conversely, the AT has a higher sensitivity, so we might expect a less impressive low-frequency extension. On the other hand, the AT has a higher power handling (larger excursion), so benefits more from a bigger amplifier, which is likely to have a subjective effect on bass quality.

So you pays your money and you takes your choice...

Alex

I can't give any feedback about the Seas and SB Acoustics versions but I finished building my ScanSpeak 3way classic about a month ago and very happy with its sound. Here are a couple of pics:
edit_1 by A Cervo, on Flickr

edit_2 by A Cervo, on Flickr

Wow, just fantastic! never mind which set of drivers, just build a pair like these and you'll be smiling :)

The reputation of the 10F in the DIY community is what led me to decide and build the ScanSpeak version. Troels' write up about the exceptional mid-tweeter integration is spot-on,voicing is very good. It's always clear & smooth in almost every album I play.

He was very enthused about the Discovery 10F mid to the point of testing the driver separately. He also mentioned the mid-tweeter integration in the Discovery as being exceptional.

Thank you merlinx76

Wow a3cervo, those came out beautiful!

Thanks zman01, Though I mostly listen to Jazz & Classical nowadays the inner 90s guy in me will still play some of the Rock/Grunge/Alternative music of my era from time to time. Albums from Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Metallica, Rage Against the Machine and so on.

The ScanSpeak 3way can handle almost anything I play, it's easier to distinguish well mastered records from crappy ones. The bass is there but you would still need a bigger woofer for that life-like kick drum in those rock albums.

a3cervo,

The speakers look beautiful. Congratulations!

If I may ask, what genres have you tried out with them? Any heavy rock/metal?

Troels 3w classic compared to Harbeth

Hi all, I would also like to build some of Troels projects. I like the classic 3w design, so the 3w classic is obviously first on my DIY project list.
The thing that bothers me though is the sound of these speakers compared to some of the successful commercial projects, such as Harbeth super HL5, or monitor 30.1. I was auditioning Harbeth monitor 30.2 anniversary edition recently and their sound was just magical! Smooth and natural mids with enough bass to rock. There are so much commercial speakers these days that just make me nervous and edgy. Harbeths are at the opposite end of the spectrum. I would like to make something that is non-fatiguing and yet more transparent and modern sounding.
I wonder which category does the 3w classic, or any other Troels design for that matter, fall in? Is there a sound signature of some sort? Has anyone made such comparisons? :confused:

It is a big decision for me to go and build a speaker I've never heard before and I know I won't be able to resell easily if the sound doesn't suit me right.

Cheers!

Last edited:
I wonder which category does the 3w classic, or any other Troels design for that matter, fall in? Is there a sound signature of some sort? Has anyone made such comparisons? :confused:
Cheers!

Hi Jozhaa, I haven't had any chance to listen any of the Troels' designs but from those who have made it to do that and build some, the reports are from very good sound to rather uninvolving/boring. Majority of the FR plots Troels published show a downward tilted response to the right. It depends on one's own taste in these matters and what kind of space the speakers will be in. Still, it is very important to keep in mind that design in itself is never to be considered possibly flawed beyond repair! Drivers of sufficient quality can be voiced to any taste one can think of, sort of speaking.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.