Wall mount speaker ideas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would like to build some flat wall mount speakers. These will be for my TV and I will want to have a matching small center channel and subwoofer.

I have no floor space for these and I just do not like the look of boxes on the walls. I could install inside the wall speakers but I would assume I can get better performance out of a proper box.

Do any of you have an thoughts on designs that might work?

I attached an image I saw yesterday of a commercial design (Sony I think) that gave me the idea. Of course they don’t have to look like this but along these lines.

Attachments

• Image-1.jpg
    Image-1.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 266
Joined 2014
Paid Member
The shape of those boxes is an ouch! diffraction-wise. A roundover that meets the wall will make less trouble. The gap gives reflection rather than support for the wave.

I have been playing with the Tymphany GBS-85 as an example of their shallow-mount line, it's a nice midrange/widerange. And Madisound has the 10" woofer under $60, so I've been thinking about a 3-way for wall use. There's a 4" and 5 1/4" also, so you can go low enough for a center & still stay close to your screen.
The woofer section is the interesting part. If we go 3way, we can go louder, by taking more work from the mid's xmax, but we can go smaller on the wall w/o a woofer.
If we go 2way & sub,the woofer can be on the floor and go lower with a bigger box. It's which runs out of travel first, so excursion calcs are called for. Should be fun, I'll try a mockup when it gets above zero here, let you know how it goes for me.

There's more than a few ideas in this plan set - originally penned for small full-range driver (MA CHR70).

http://frugal-phile.com/boxlib/P10free/MT-HT-Appendix-191209.pdf

How large is the room? With bass management in most surround receivers / processors, it's a piece of cake to high pass the front main row and surrounds to alleviate the heavy lifting.

Then there's the Cornu types of wall mounted horns, and several variants by XRK - most found on the full range forum.

FWIW, I've used FR driver based (Fostex and various Mark Audio / Alpairs) systems in my smallish room (320 sq ft) for the best part of the past 10yrs. As the shape and configuration of my room can't support the acoustic treatment required for deepest bass, I don't attempt to achieve THX reference levels, and I'm happy enough with the results.

The shape of those boxes is an ouch! diffraction-wise. A roundover that meets the wall will make less trouble. The gap gives reflection rather than support for the wave.

I have been playing with the Tymphany GBS-85 as an example of their shallow-mount line, it's a nice midrange/widerange. And Madisound has the 10" woofer under $60, so I've been thinking about a 3-way for wall use. There's a 4" and 5 1/4" also, so you can go low enough for a center & still stay close to your screen.
The woofer section is the interesting part. If we go 3way, we can go louder, by taking more work from the mid's xmax, but we can go smaller on the wall w/o a woofer.
If we go 2way & sub,the woofer can be on the floor and go lower with a bigger box. It's which runs out of travel first, so excursion calcs are called for. Should be fun, I'll try a mockup when it gets above zero here, let you know how it goes for me.

Cool! Thank you. Yes that “Sony” does not look optimum but I wanted give folks and idea if my words were not so clear.

Is flush (sometimes called soffit) mounting boxes in the wall an option, like studios do with their main monitors? That would give you the advantages of both on wall (non-resonant box) and in wall (no diffraction issues) speakers. Maybe this would still be called in wall.

Thank you. I originally saw the speakers I posted and thought that would work well. Since I just do not have the floor space to use stands. But as you suggest, mounting in the wall is an option. It may in fact be the better option.

There's more than a few ideas in this plan set - originally penned for small full-range driver (MA CHR70).

http://frugal-phile.com/boxlib/P10free/MT-HT-Appendix-191209.pdf

How large is the room? With bass management in most surround receivers / processors, it's a piece of cake to high pass the front main row and surrounds to alleviate the heavy lifting.

Then there's the Cornu types of wall mounted horns, and several variants by XRK - most found on the full range forum.

FWIW, I've used FR driver based (Fostex and various Mark Audio / Alpairs) systems in my smallish room (320 sq ft) for the best part of the past 10yrs. As the shape and configuration of my room can't support the acoustic treatment required for deepest bass, I don't attempt to achieve THX reference levels, and I'm happy enough with the results.

Thank you for posting this.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.