Non directional sound for filling a room

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What are some ideas for a room where you don’t want imaging, but just want great sound throughout the room? This isn’t the critical listening room (that I have in a separate room), but a living room with different seating directions and positions. I want a full and engaging sound that we can enjoy throughout the room. I thought of giving the whole family HD 800’s to wear, but I want something more sociable.

There are threads here OB, omni, floor coupled. What technique would you choose if you didn’t want imaging, just sound quality throughout the room?

Thanks

How many speakers do you want to work with? Maybe four high wall mounted or ceiling speakers with a similar amount of small subs distributed around.

I highly recommend the Dayton PS65LP fullrange driver for it's very wide dispersion and clarity. It's impressive when properly eq'd.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
In my lab, where I rarely have a line of sight to the speakers, I use my Ohm Walsh Twos. I actually get very good imaging if I am not standing right by them. Four or five feet seems to be enough. I was very surprised at how well they do in such an awkward placement.

So, look up Juspur's Pencils(here) which are a simple Walsh-type knockoff. It uses 5 1/4 inch HDS woofers, which have not changed much in behavior with cone material changes.

It's an easy project, and if you don't like it, no problem using the drivers for more 'normal' speakers.
p.s. they are at about a quarter of the length into the room, and I am all over the place at various times.

I use Omni's and they will definitely fill the room with consistent tone. Imaging is also very good but you need space away from the walls. You could also upmix stereo to a conventional 5.1 HT system and fill the room although the tone may be less consistent as you move around.

I was assuming I would need multiple speakers spread around. Plus the room is L shaped.

I have a pair of Lx-mini. One thought was to build more, but then I'd have all these columns around the place spaced out from the walls. Plus, the tweeters on those are directional. (I had thoughts about hanging them from the ceiling with 6in embedded in the ceiling. Or bending the pvc so much of the column would hide in the ceiling)

Ill go read those threads.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You know the old stereo consoles did a great job at room filling and even house filling. Usually low to the ground or even touching it, with the stereo speakers all sharing a baffle.
I own several, and have also built a few.

Might be bigger than you want, but it works.

What are some ideas for a room where you don’t want imaging, but just want great sound throughout the room? This isn’t the critical listening room (that I have in a separate room), but a living room with different seating directions and positions. I want a full and engaging sound that we can enjoy throughout the room. I thought of giving the whole family HD 800’s to wear, but I want something more sociable.

There are threads here OB, omni, floor coupled. What technique would you choose if you didn’t want imaging, just sound quality throughout the room?

Thanks

For music You need an up-firing mono, preferably coaxial at least 8 inches, not necessarily short/floor coupled.

Do You want to use the system for TV sound or just music?

I'm envisioning 6 Tannoy 15in coaxial mounted atop 12 ft long industrial pipes embedded into the foundation. :D

The funny room is like a square with a quarter removed. So, 5 outside corners. I have a room simulator (CARA) I bought a while ago which I think can model it. I cant remember if it can also do upward facing. No TV in sight - just music.

I was assuming I need mono since I wont have a preferred seating point and don't care about imaging.

The Lxmini is still rather directional with the tweeter, but is still much wider than my other speakers. I plan to mount these in my kitchen, upside down from the ceiling. Bose looks cool.

Having the speakers come from the ceiling seems interesting. There is 12in space in there that can be used for enclosure. If the whole enclosure is in there and the speaker is flush, then it is like a soffit mount.

Any benefit of up firing from the floor vs down from the ceiling? Floor has more stuff blocking the sound, like furniture.

I think that ceiling is better place than floor, acoustically. The problem is how to install them. And if you are not happy, what then?

Treble dispersion was not an issue in 1960s, mono record player and radio broadcasts didn't go much above 6kHz. The challenge for omnis is to spray treble evenly.

Duevel's bigger speakers use a compression driver and a spindle. I would copy this principle as first attempt for omni... Start with minidsp 2x4HD, dsp eq and xo.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
I have Llinkwitz Pluto 2s and I really like the way they fill the room with sound and are not fussy about placement. I see the OP has Llinkwitz LXminis, which are similar to Plutos, so I am not sure what he wants to improve (but I would like to hear about his experiments!)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.