DIY speakers for Audio(phile) Cafe Bar...Need help and support!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
If you want something that sounds amazing and looks really cool, it's hard to beat the big Western Electric horns as the centerpiece. I've done that on a temporary basis, and it became legendary in Paris. You do need a fairly large space, tho maybe not as large as that place in Korea.

The great thing about the big W.E. horns (or similar) is the size and scale of the sound. They sound life size, and don't have to be loud to do so. Bass can be easy or difficult, it's up to you - and the space.

Details if you want them.

sounds to me like you have had enough DRAMA!

Big speakers need big spaces. Big spaces are harder to treat acoustically.

The louder you make it the noisier the patrons will be.

Smaller simpler speaker IMHO sound more natural and fewer artifacts from the
crossovers and cabinets. Horses for courses tho. Good luck.

If you want something that sounds amazing and looks really cool, it's hard to beat the big Western Electric horns as the centerpiece. I've done that on a temporary basis, and it became legendary in Paris. You do need a fairly large space, tho maybe not as large as that place in Korea.

The great thing about the big W.E. horns (or similar) is the size and scale of the sound. They sound life size, and don't have to be loud to do so. Bass can be easy or difficult, it's up to you - and the space.

Details if you want them.

+1 Nothing can beat WE in this context. My concern is durability, though...

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I first wanted to do an Audiophile cafe back in 1976. Almost did, tho it wasn't going to be called that. Wanted to use Magneplanar Tympani II speakers. :). Glad to see the idea really catching on.

There are so many ways to do this that half the fun will be in figuring out what you want to do, and what will catch the passion of your customers. I suspect that will evolve over time.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
LOL! I understand the hurt. A friend of mine recently worked in a club like that in London. They had these horns (but red). He said they really hurt!

Attachments

• club horns.jpg
    club horns.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 272
From a sonic perspective, they should have very wide horizontal dispersion with narrow vertical. Multiple subs placed throughout the room.

This kind of narrows it down to line arrays/symmetrical wmtmw/ or horns. Perhaps two floor to ceiling subs for dramatic effect with smaller subs spread about. A line array can also have the effect of making sounds larger than life or very detailed which can also add to the excitement of the system.

Good luck on your project!

Last edited:
Things that would see me regularly frequenting an audiophile cafe:

A designed acoustic space with well controlled reverberation so I could talk to friends and enjoy a good hifi at the same time.

Different, interesting systems that were rotated out regularly and tuned for the room. Maybe hifi clubs and stores could be involved.

A visually inviting space with lots of timber and warm lighting.

And..Vacuum tubes; Interesting turntables; DJs who know how to create the right vibe for the night's particular crowd.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.