Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Thoughts on DSP multiamp/attenuator setup?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th July 2019, 05:16 PM   #71
neo2015 is offline neo2015
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badman View Post
I'll experiment with and without the attenuators as I get used to it, but we're going to be talking some pretty severe sensitivity differences in some cases. The tops are some 96dB or so, while the subs are probably 86 in their passband, but they're EQ'd to operate below Fc (sealed and boosted). When we get into 3 ways with a 108dB comp tweeter, high 90s efficiency midwoofer, and low efficiency subs, every way to adjust levels will come into play I'm sure.
It should be very easy to match sensitivities using the DSP software.

I assume you have already measured each driver in isolation ... would you mind post the measures here?

How are you approaching the time alignment between the several drivers?
Old Yesterday, 01:31 PM   #72
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo2015 View Post
It should be very easy to match sensitivities using the DSP software.

I assume you have already measured each driver in isolation ... would you mind post the measures here?

How are you approaching the time alignment between the several drivers?
The DSP is certainly capable of matching things for me, I am experimenting with solutions still. It's a slow process for me- working stiff with a family. I listen over a 50dB window or so (from quietest to loudest). I don't want to start the chain off with an A/D based off a signal at -80dB- if I attenuate output instead of input, I can feed it some 24dB more.

I've measured the driver/horn/cabinet combos in question before but don't have a good working in-room measurement, or the level of resolution I want for most measurements. That's one of the next steps as I start doing a little more with the setup.

Time alignment, for now, is not key as the only DSP crossover is at 80hz.

The mid/top are a 2 way constant directivity design, on top of dual sealed 12"s per side. They're based on JBL 2206h (with a thin damping/sealing coating), and DDS ENG90 waveguides with JBL 2426h.

I'll begin doing some more robust measures as I start doing more detailed builds that leverage the DSP for more crossovers.

With respect to time alignment, there are a few ways to do it- I can measure impulse timing of individual drivers, which may be the easiest.
Old Yesterday, 04:20 PM   #73
neo2015 is offline neo2015
diyAudio Member

Thank you very much for the detailed response.

I fully understand the slow process, i have all the gear for my L/R 2-way stored away for more than 6 months, composed by:
- AE TD12M @ 4ohms
- Beyma TPL-150H
- DSP Monocor DSM-48LAN
- Crown Xli 800(for the TD12M)
- Parasound V3 (for the TPL-150H)

Work, family, etc, have been in the way, i'm hopping to complete this in the next two months.

I will follow this build with great interest, i'm sure it will help me learning and achieve a better result for my own project.

Please keep this thread updated
Old Yesterday, 07:35 PM   #74
bentoronto is offline bentoronto  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badman View Post
The DSP is certainly capable...I don't want to start the chain off with an A/D based off a signal at -80dB- if I attenuate output instead of input, I can feed it some 24dB more.
Getting warmer. Easy to gang Bourns pots (and a big knob) to control the amps. Easy to buy a resistance taper that feels just right to your fingers and ears.

Bourns Potentiometers | Mouser Canada

For those with a Behringer DCX2496, you might consider using a USB to AES-coax converter - cheap, invisible, and maintenance free. Skips over the input analog stage and eliminates two AD/DC conversions.
B.

Last edited by bentoronto; Yesterday at 07:40 PM.

Thoughts on DSP multiamp/attenuator setup?Hide this!Advertise here!