Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Thoughts on DSP multiamp/attenuator setup?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th January 2018, 10:17 PM   #41
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Why not Do It Yourself? DIY pot ganging
Old 10th January 2018, 10:23 PM   #42
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by badman View Post
I have been meaning to build a flexible passive XO box for a long time-
I'm a fan of good passive crossovers, so I would never say no. Passive can take a long time to dial in, tho. And coils aren't cheap.
But at least you have target crossover points, 250 Hz and 1.25 kHz. No idea how those were bent with DSP, but it gives you a good place to start.

How's your measurement setup?
Old 10th January 2018, 10:57 PM   #43
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_EM View Post
I have located the original thread, the design changes quite a bit since the first post and the final board is on page 5:

CS3318 PCB Layout

See what you reckon, it's more work than an off-the-shelf controller but there may be benefits to you (mine has remote control, it can fit in aesthetically with your 19" units, you can level match your different drivers in analogue domain etc.) but I would recommend a bal/unbal stage I think, partially because the IC costs 20 so using two adds quite some cost!
The cost of an additional chip/board is not really an issue, but assembly might be. I don't think I'd be able to solder the chip in place- I just can't do the tiny stuff (even basic full size opamps are an issue for my hands)- I'm not 100% going down the path of needing an attenuator, but if that's where I land, I'll certainly think hard about seeing if your project's adaptable (it certainly seems to be). Thank you!
Old 10th January 2018, 11:20 PM   #44
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
I'm a fan of good passive crossovers, so I would never say no. Passive can take a long time to dial in, tho. And coils aren't cheap.
But at least you have target crossover points, 250 Hz and 1.25 kHz. No idea how those were bent with DSP, but it gives you a good place to start.

How's your measurement setup?
My measurement is capable enough- I have an Omnimic setup (Dayton) which does enough for me for FR/Phase, and an impedance tester in the WT3 device. I don't have a good option for far-field measurement, however, as my space isn't conducive to it (and I haven't prioritized it as I can get to very clean results without that data).

If I do go passive, I have a few values in 10 awg aircore (Solen) ranging up to 5mH or so, as well as a plethora of smaller units in 18 awg. I guess it's time to start measuring as that will inform what I can "get away with" as the most simple/affordable endpoint to this project. I've done a fair bit of work in passives, so that's not really a big issue. If the 14"s aren't naughty, the 250 could be pretty close to textbook, and could even be active or line level- just because I'm (in this scenario) not triamping with FIR filters, doesn't mean I have to use single-amp setups.
Old 10th January 2018, 11:41 PM   #45
diyAudio Moderator

That could sure get you a ling way down the path. The 250 Hz point is going to need some big caps, tho - especially if the woofers are 4 ohm.
Old 10th January 2018, 11:55 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

Hahaha- big caps are no problem- i have polys up to 200uF (yuuuge). Benefits of irrational behaviors that stemmed from getting into the hobby pre-kids.
Old 10th January 2018, 11:57 PM   #47
diyAudio Moderator

LOL.
Old 12th January 2018, 11:22 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

Just a few thoughts as I work through this project:

PC based- too much complexity and UI issues for systems the family needs to use. They put up with enough. Also, the multichannel dacs of any reasonable quality are very pricey.

FIR filtering - Delays are too much and mess with source compatibility, my current/relevant systems are both video-integrated and without a PC managing video buffering (see above why no PC). Standalone processors that do FIR in my budget are operating at 48khz, have limited taps, AND have severe latency with no PC to buffer video. I really prefer to keep to 96k+.

Level setting in dbx- there are input and output levels available, so I can tailor the output from +4dBu to +22dBu (I'd almost certainly use 4), and input from 14-28dBu so dynamic range and noise control should be pretty manageable so long as I can throw a solid (read- higher than standard LL preamp) volume controlled input at it (up to 24dB higher in than out is pretty solid)

https://3e7777c294b9bcaa5486-bc95634...C_original.pdf Page 94/96 (Page 96 of document, 94 labeled) is where I got the info on levels.

Big honking passive XOs- so much darned work but I should do it anyway as I have plenty of systems floating around to test and play with. The Evoi specifically appears to be a 2.5way, even though they describe it as a three way. There are certainly three filters, but given the midbasses are in a single vented volume, it would be very odd to only use one through the lower octaves, though the amp would basically short out an actively high-passed woofer below 250hz.

Just putting these thoughts down for feedback and posterity, and to try to keep myself honest as I work this through. Before I invest in gear I should probably keep my marriage together by fundraising with some of my existing, unused toys. Who wants an SE-OTL?

Last edited by badman; 12th January 2018 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Moar thoughting

Thoughts on DSP multiamp/attenuator setup?Hide this!Advertise here!