Thoughts on DSP multiamp/attenuator setup?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In relation to gaming, the biggest issues I've had with latencies, have ended simultaniously to me transitioning from HDMI to Displayport.
Thankfully, Microsoft has gained some modicum of sense, and now you can get most of the Xbox catalog on PC. So now my daughters are using steeringwheel and pedals setup driving cars in Forza on PC. A much better experience than using consoles IMO.
What kind of gaming are we talking about here?

In relation to gaming, the biggest issues I've had with latencies, have ended simultaniously to me transitioning from HDMI to Displayport.
Thankfully, Microsoft has gained some modicum of sense, and now you can get most of the Xbox catalog on PC. So now my daughters are using steeringwheel and pedals setup driving cars in Forza on PC. A much better experience than using consoles IMO.
What kind of gaming are we talking about here?

Mostly PS4, some switch and even Wii occasionally. Gaming on the big rig is a *******' hoot, and some game sound design is really great (Destiny, Monster Hunter)

I will eventually bite the bullet and go full digits in signal transmission I suppose but for now this is working pretty great :) A digitally volume controlled HDMI-->AES extractor would be an amazing tool if I could get my paws on one.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I think your best bet may be the Arvus AES-2H, originally requested by Sony for testing audio levels on the Playstation.
Arvus AES-2H Converter up to 8 channels of 48/96k AES/EBU to HDMI (Audio only) | eBay

But many TV's or the like have toslink outputs, cheaper to get a toslink to AES converter.
Hosa Technology CDL-313 Data Link CDL-313 B&H Photo Video

Probably lots to choose from if you utilize your google-fu skillZ.

The first unit goes in the wrong direction- AES-->HDMI. I'd seen the second, but my issue is really just around having a convenient volume control. I suppose I could adjust from the input mixer, though, but I'd love to have a variable bit-depth control at 24+bits on the converter device, for ease of use. The PS4 and TV do indeed both have optical.

Oh, sorry!
I meant the Arvus HDMI-2A, but I think it's hard to find now.
IMO You do not need variable bit depth control, just a locked on 24bit thing is all you need.

That said, but on my personal wishlist: it would be nice to have a 32bit interface with 64bit processing, that could take care of all my xo/eq/various other adjustment needs. Not because I am so conceited to believe that I actually can hear the difference between 24 and 32 bits DA conversion, but more because it would allow for more processing power and there are benefits to higher bit depth for computing effects.

I am sure there are some Dante compatible HDMI inputs that allow you to run a network config to a AES output, they have all kinds of stuff.

Oh, sorry!
I meant the Arvus HDMI-2A, but I think it's hard to find now.
IMO You do not need variable bit depth control, just a locked on 24bit thing is all you need.

That said, but on my personal wishlist: it would be nice to have a 32bit interface with 64bit processing, that could take care of all my xo/eq/various other adjustment needs. Not because I am so conceited to believe that I actually can hear the difference between 24 and 32 bits DA conversion, but more because it would allow for more processing power and there are benefits to higher bit depth for computing effects.

I am sure there are some Dante compatible HDMI inputs that allow you to run a network config to a AES output, they have all kinds of stuff.

No worries. When I say "variable bit depth" I just mean properly implemented digital volume control. I agree, the high wordlength processing is more for peace of mind than necessarily audibility.

I haven't found a device that would do what I really "need" for integration of the video stuff (Basically a converting digital preamp)- I can just keep switching back and forth I suppose, it's not a terribly big deal, and it's not like I'm dealing with underperforming devices, everything is 96/24 capable with good quality.

Of course, I could use the DSP as a master volume control, but as per the premise of this thread- I do worry about sufficient levels through the DSP.

... Have you considered the miniDSP OpenDRC-DI?
OpenDRC : OpenDRC-DI

In my eyes it seems like a one-step solution to all your worries, but perhaps that's just me.
Toslink and spdif in/out, AES in/out, and most importantly: Volume knob and remote control!
Getting some extra FIR taps for "global" optimizations can be handy I guess.

Last edited:
... Have you considered the miniDSP OpenDRC-DI?
OpenDRC : OpenDRC-DI

In my eyes it seems like a one-step solution to all your worries, but perhaps that's just me.
Toslink and spdif in/out, AES in/out, and most importantly: Volume knob and remote control!
Getting some extra FIR taps for "global" optimizations can be handy I guess.

That actually does indeed do pretty much what I'd need to integrate the gaming and TV into the rig!

It's getting harder to justify the contortions to keep the wax in the mix.

I guess this thread is long since due for updating!

Currently running same NCore 400 Tweet, nc500 midwoof, UCD sub setup, with the DBX running into them through 24dB attenuator cables for mid and tweet which make the gain ranging much easier and more adaptable. I'm not using variable attenuator previously referenced, just the cables:

https://naiant.com/studio-electronics-products/inline-devices/vpd-variable-inline-attenuator/

The volume control currently runs a few ways:

Vinyl pre-DSP: LP12 w/ Dynavector 17d2, stepups, phonostage, S&B TX-102s (volume control transformers) as the volume control into the analog in on the DSP

Digital pre-DSP: Either analog from Topping Dx7 dac, or digital in on AES/EBU converted from the Squeezebox Touch if I want to avoid extra D/A/D conversion. Both the dac and the squeezebox have remotes.

I'll be adding an input switchbox to the analog setups so I can readily switch between the dac and TT, but will still need to swap cables and reconfigure the DSP if I want to run digital into the DSP, it's easy to do, a few button presses and it's the most accessible cable (back leftmost). It's currently configured digitally and I can run in the high range on the SBT volume control and not stress bit depth too much.

The McIntosh is sidelined, I will be selling it. Too much capability that I don't need.

So, I can go to a pure digital volume control from the squeezebox, or analog for convenience or vinyl. From what I can see 8 bits is the range of loss from volume 18-100 on the 24 bit SBT volume control, so for higher bitrate music, I'll be best served well above 18, so the attenuated cables are good for keeping my range comfortably away from too much bit loss. If I weren't running horns I might have a little more wiggle room, or if the amps had easily variable input pads, but that's what the cables are for, I don't really have noise issues.

Better from a system design perspective would be if I could kill the gain in the amp input stages, but that's for someone who is comfortable messing with SMD on pricey boards, which isn't me anymore.

z071dlr.jpg

Last edited:
Various considerations here. When setting up a few years ago, I didn't want to lose bits going into the DSP; but today, not sure my Behringer which yesterday measured around 100 dB down for THD+noise wouldn't sound just as good with a smaller signal going into and out of it.

For me, the various volume controls on my apps are awkward to use. So since I am presently just bi-amped, I opted for a DIY ganged rotary Bournes VC after the Behringer DSP. The VC box sits next to my listening chair and always can reach it to adjust with fine increments of rotation.

I input the DSP digitally (S/PDIF coax). But if I inputted analog, it would need just a stereo VC to control the input... which is what I might do if I go tri-amped.

Last edited:
Yeah, the dac is a digital domain VC but outputs analog for video/convenience, and the phono trafos of course are analog. A lot of components in this rig: 5 amps, Dac, DSP, Squeezebox, LP12, Stepups, Phono, TX102 VC trafos, and a switch to be added to the analog convenience chain.

For me refining the passive XO on the midtweet/supertweet is the next obvious effort, followed with reboxing the fugly makeshift setup for the TX102s which would benefit from some further efforts around ground management and such for noise mitigation, there's a little residual hum/buzz. Once all that's done, the DSP may be a limiting factor worthy of upgrade but until then, it's keeping up.

I'm pretty happy, just need to start designing systems in dsp memory based around the various fun bits on hand- heil amts, other horns and drivers, some sweet old gauss alnico woofers, JBL Evois (sans electronics) and others.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.