Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Baffle Diffraction
Baffle Diffraction
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th December 2019, 08:49 PM   #621
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT View Post
If the contraption in from of the woofer has a positive impact on said woofer, why don't we see woofers with said contraption but without a tweeter?

//
JBL did some models with woofer-covering "lenses" recently, and the Karlson is a well known woofer-covering design.

I'm not saying it's the right thing for the woofer, but perhaps using a concentric horn that occludes the woofer is a possible improvement over slots/holes in a waveguide surface in a traditional unity/synergy type system.
Old 10th December 2019, 09:04 PM   #622
wesayso is offline wesayso  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Something like the example from Genelec John posted here? Link to original post.

Click the image to open in full size.

Baffle Diffraction-1535630632_mg_4331-jpg

It is a 3-way speaker... but pretty good control off axis. Design is in line with this thread, to reduce diffraction.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1535630632_MG_4331.JPG (11.7 KB, 151 views)

Last edited by wesayso; 10th December 2019 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10th December 2019, 09:12 PM   #623
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badman View Post
JBL did some models with woofer-covering "lenses" recently, and the Karlson is a well known woofer-covering design.
And KEF Concord?
Old 11th December 2019, 12:58 AM   #624
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33Polkhigh View Post
I'm not sure where you get this from. The sound that isn't directed forward is cancelled by the out of phase sound from the back creating a null. The little amount of diffraction caused by the lip of the baffle is also symmetrical on both sides and so would also cancel.
I've been thinking about this - as I said it is a complicated problem. As you say it is a completely anti-symmetric situation. Hence, mathematically it is a rigid piston in a baffle whose boundary condition is a pressure release, P=0. This has to differ from the same piston in an infinite baffle whose boundary condition is V(normal)=0. This difference then has to be the result of the open baffle. To me, that's diffraction.

In my younger days I would have actually done the calculations. Oh whoa is me!

Last edited by gedlee; 11th December 2019 at 01:01 AM.
Old 11th December 2019, 05:47 AM   #625
33Polkhigh is offline 33Polkhigh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhazi View Post
Have you noticed what KEF R series have nowdays?

Shadow Flare
The Shadow Flare is an innovative way to cut harmful high frequency cabinet diffraction. It's a carefully profiled transition that extends the waveguide effect of Uni-Q. The treble escapes naturally because the ‘shadow region’ stops it getting to the cabinet edges. The result is vastly improved fine detail.

Click the image to open in full size.
Basically it does exactly what a waveguide does except its a "shadow flare" and costs more.

Kef does make a good coaxial, but running a metal cone up as high as they do I'd be weary of metal cone ring.

those big B and C coaxes look nice and they're paper.
Old 11th December 2019, 02:00 PM   #626
homebuilder is offline homebuilder  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Baffle diffraction

gedlee: "In my younger days I would have actually done the calculations. Oh whoa is me!"

gedlee: did you mean "woe is me"? Or, was that a clever twist on a word to describe the resulting non-action? I liked it........

Baffle DiffractionHide this!Advertise here!