Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

How long does it take to "design" a speakers?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd January 2018, 08:43 PM   #1
andy2 is offline andy2  United States
diyAudio Member

Default How long does it take to "design" a speakers?

I know this guy who worked on a pair of speakers for about two years. I heard it and it sounds alright. I was just wondering what would be the normal time it takes to design a pair of speakers? If it takes me so long, does it say something about my competency especially at the end if it doesn't sound that good. I used the word "competency" as an understatement because I've been called worse.
What would be a normal time for a 2way and a 3way? I'd say 3 months for a 2way and 6 months for a 3way would be reasonable.
Old 3rd January 2018, 08:49 PM   #2
Zvu is offline Zvu  Serbia
diyAudio Member

I think that there's no such thing.

It needs as much time as it needs and not a day/month/year less.

When measured result and listening impression both say that it is good - then it is finished. After some time in designing speakers experience kicks in and you can speed it up a bit, but that's it.

Last edited by Zvu; 3rd January 2018 at 08:51 PM.
Old 3rd January 2018, 08:51 PM   #3
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

How long is a piece of string?
Old 3rd January 2018, 08:52 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zvu View Post

It needs as much time that it needs and not a day/month/year less.

I guess that would depends on the competency of the designer. When I first worked on my first speakers, it took me more than two years because I had to learn the software, the tools, and equipment. But if someone like Troels for example, I guess it shouldn't take him too long.
Old 3rd January 2018, 08:56 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

That has nothing to do with competence. I've read most of Troels writings. In more than one occasion he wrote that he couldn't make something work.
Old 3rd January 2018, 08:57 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zvu View Post
That has nothing to do with competence. I've read most of Troels writings. In more than one ocasion he wrote that he couldn't make something work.
Well at least I didn't take him more than two years to figure out. If it did I'd be sorry for him.
Old 3rd January 2018, 08:58 PM   #7
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Experience certainly helps. Sometimes it takes a while, sometimes it is quick. Number of drivers, complexity of XO, ability to build a box properly.

Some of our designs have taken a couple years to come to fruition. After struggling for a couple years with a design to replace the original Frugel-Horn (ie FH Mk2), the Frugel-Horn Mk3 happened in a week or so, from the impetus provided by a new version of the FE126 to completion of asuccessful 2nd prototype.

No fiddling with XOs helped a lot.

dave
Old 3rd January 2018, 08:59 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy2 View Post
Well at least I didn't take him more than two years to figure out. If it did I'd be sorry for him.
How would you know after how long he gave up if he did not write it ?

No matter how long it takes, if it is figured out in the end - it's a success. Was it worth it - that is individual fealing.

Last edited by Zvu; 3rd January 2018 at 09:05 PM.
Old 3rd January 2018, 09:00 PM   #9
eriksquires is offline eriksquires  United States
diyAudio Member

Really depends on the designer, the tools, and the driver choices.

Crossover design could take hours once a cabinet is built and all the measurements are in place.

Attempting to do this from knowing nothing, and without measurements is a much longer road.

Like anything else though, designing is a skill. Practice and learning go hand in hand. Ear / brain / data must be taught to align so that a designer can adjust a design with reliability. After you have made 3 designs you are MUCH more efficient than when you attempt your first.

Best,

E

Last edited by eriksquires; 3rd January 2018 at 09:03 PM.
Old 3rd January 2018, 09:02 PM   #10
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

“Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.” - FZ

How long does it take to "design" a speakers?Hide this!Advertise here!