How long does it take to "design" a speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know this guy who worked on a pair of speakers for about two years. I heard it and it sounds alright. I was just wondering what would be the normal time it takes to design a pair of speakers? If it takes me so long, does it say something about my competency especially at the end if it doesn't sound that good. I used the word "competency" as an understatement because I've been called worse.
What would be a normal time for a 2way and a 3way? I'd say 3 months for a 2way and 6 months for a 3way would be reasonable.

I think that there's no such thing.

It needs as much time as it needs and not a day/month/year less.

When measured result and listening impression both say that it is good - then it is finished. After some time in designing speakers experience kicks in and you can speed it up a bit, but that's it.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Experience certainly helps. Sometimes it takes a while, sometimes it is quick. Number of drivers, complexity of XO, ability to build a box properly.

Some of our designs have taken a couple years to come to fruition. After struggling for a couple years with a design to replace the original Frugel-Horn (ie FH Mk2), the Frugel-Horn Mk3 happened in a week or so, from the impetus provided by a new version of the FE126 to completion of asuccessful 2nd prototype.

No fiddling with XOs helped a lot.

dave

Really depends on the designer, the tools, and the driver choices.

Crossover design could take hours once a cabinet is built and all the measurements are in place.

Attempting to do this from knowing nothing, and without measurements is a much longer road.

Like anything else though, designing is a skill. Practice and learning go hand in hand. Ear / brain / data must be taught to align so that a designer can adjust a design with reliability. After you have made 3 designs you are MUCH more efficient than when you attempt your first.

Best,

E

Last edited:
Designing a typical loudspeaker doesn't take that much time once one has the means. Most loudspeakers follow a general pattern of design and procedure but what does expend most of the time is in the fine tuning of the crossover (i.e if passive) and the long term listening that goes with it. Most commercial loudspeakers are generally formula driven with the sonic outcome of 'ho hum' in a pretty package.
DIY is much more inspired and interesting.

C.M

If you don't believe in my common sense then how about math?

Let's say his website been around for 10 years.
10 divided by 2 is 5. So if you're right, he only designed a total of 5 pairs of speakers.

I don't think in terms of right or wrong and i rarely believe everything i read these days. I think about informations that i have on a certain topic. Since you've made Troels working methodology a part of topic, then i operate on my knowledge about that - which is none.

That's why i asked why do you presume the way in which he works ? You either have some informations that i don't or you are making presumptions about things that you don't know.

I know that i don't know anything. I'm just trying to see here how much you don't know. If you know what i mean.

Oh, and there might be few more variables in your equation than that.

Last edited:
I don't think about right or wrong. I think about informations that i have on certain topic. Since you've made Troels working methodology a part of topic, then i operate on my knowledge about that - which is none.

That's why i asked why do you presume the way in which he works ? You either have some informations that i don't or you are making presumptions about things that you don't know.

I know that i don't know anything. I'm jist trying to see here how much you don't know. If you know what i mean.

Oh, and there might be few more variables in your equation than that.

I think you're trying to avoid the subject since this is online so you could afford to. It's really simple. If it takes two years then simple division gives you the answer. That is unless as I said before if you're trying to avoid the subject.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.