Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Opinions on Pairing Satori MW19PNW-8/AMTPRO-4?
Opinions on Pairing Satori MW19PNW-8/AMTPRO-4?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th January 2018, 01:04 PM   #11
glenv6 is offline glenv6  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun12 View Post
And how does this dayton sound like a midrange or like a twitter spooky?
Can you record the sound to hear how it sounds?
I also look at him.

It is going to be a awhile, sure, I can record the sound once I have my speakers built.
Old 5th January 2018, 01:07 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT View Post
The Satori is great upwards. Try to find if there is a frequency where both drivers have the same dispersion pattern at 30 and 60 deg. Above 2k.

//

Okay, I will do that - Thank you! I am going to order the Satori drivers today.
Old 5th January 2018, 01:15 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojzek View Post
You can have these traced from a spec sheet and assumed on a baffle 22x45 cm. Vented box tuned to manufacturer's suggestion.

This is great, thank you!!

Would you mind elaborating on the process used to trace from a spec sheet? How is the baffle size and vented box tune used when deriving data from the spec sheet?
Old 5th January 2018, 02:55 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenv6 View Post
This is great, thank you!!

Would you mind elaborating on the process used to trace from a spec sheet? How is the baffle size and vented box tune used when deriving data from the spec sheet?

Ah, found the way to derive those files from screenshots of the response graphs.... I found SPL Copy app here:
SPLCopy.zip - Google Drive
Old 5th January 2018, 04:05 PM   #15
LineSource is offline LineSource  United States
diyAudio Member

Expert designer Troels Gavesen built the MW19 Studio Monitor using the MW19P-8 and selected an LR4 circuit at 1700Hz for the crossover.

"The MW19P-8 midbass driver used here is a rather large driver having a radiating area of 158 cm^2, a little bigger than the ScanSpeak 18WU drivers. Due to size of the midbass we need a low point of crossover to the tweeter ... Here we go with a point of crossover at 1700 Hz providing the best possible frequency response and we use an LR4 filter (circuit) providing some added presence in upper mid/lower treble despite the large cone area of the midbass. By using a steep filter we reduce the "echo" of the midbass beaming. "

====
I use passive LR4/LR4 cricuits at 1650Hz with the MW19P-4 midbass and SB29RDC-04 dome for TV/desk speakers.
Old 5th January 2018, 04:19 PM   #16
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Okay, I will do that - Thank you! I am going to order the Satori drivers today.
Oops, I thought we where discussing SATORI MR13P-4.

Sorry.

//
Old 5th January 2018, 05:34 PM   #17
CharlieLaub is offline CharlieLaub  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hey There!
I just purchased a couple of AMTPRO-4s on sale from Parts Express and I'm looking for drivers to pair them with. My thought is a two-way with the Satori MW19PNW to keep it simple. Crossover would be an LR2@1500hz on both the low pass and hi pass.

Would this be a good pairing? Is 1500hz too low? Too high? The MW19PNW dips about 2db around 1200hz. Does that rule out this pair? Or, would I need a different x-over point, or can I work with the dip electrically to smooth it out?

Thanks in advance
The AMTPRO-4 frequency response makes it less than ideal about 10kHz. I attached a measurement I took on a unit that I own, in free air. It might be possible to EQ the response so that you get a smooth transition between the mid-passband level of (on my plot) 105dB and the near 10kHz response level of 100dB - you might want to EQ out the "hump" around 10kHz or it could sound fatiguing. I would probably try this approach with an active DSP crossover, however, because you might need to combine several EQ bands to get it right.

The AMPPRO-4 also has a rather "tall" diaphragm for a tweeter. The size of the diaphragm is especially a problem in the vertical plane, where the response pattern starts to narrow starting at 4kHz. You can use it as low as 1.5-1.8kHz (it will need a back enclosure). If you add a small dome tweeter (e.g. Ox20?) crossed over at 5-7kHz you will get better overall performance from 5kHz to 20kHz.

On the plus side, the distortion signature is pretty clean and efficiency is high. It's a good driver when used in a way that minimizes some of the response issues.

Note: If you have advanced hearing loss you might not notice the issues above 5kHz I mentioned since these are getting near the edge of your ability.

Last edited by CharlieLaub; 5th January 2018 at 05:38 PM.
Old 5th January 2018, 05:48 PM   #18
mlee is offline mlee  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieLaub View Post
The AMTPRO-4 frequency response makes it less than ideal about 10kHz.
Agreed! I always use something above the AMTPRO-4 even when eqed flat. Seems like it is missing that something over extended listens.
Old 5th January 2018, 06:59 PM   #19
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT View Post
Oops, I thought we where discussing SATORI MR13P-4.

Sorry.

//
eee MW16P-4 was the driver I had i mind.

//
Old 6th January 2018, 02:11 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LineSource View Post
Expert designer Troels Gavesen built the MW19 Studio Monitor using the MW19P-8 and selected an LR4 circuit at 1700Hz for the crossover.

"The MW19P-8 midbass driver used here is a rather large driver having a radiating area of 158 cm^2, a little bigger than the ScanSpeak 18WU drivers. Due to size of the midbass we need a low point of crossover to the tweeter ... Here we go with a point of crossover at 1700 Hz providing the best possible frequency response and we use an LR4 filter (circuit) providing some added presence in upper mid/lower treble despite the large cone area of the midbass. By using a steep filter we reduce the "echo" of the midbass beaming. "

====
I use passive LR4/LR4 cricuits at 1650Hz with the MW19P-4 midbass and SB29RDC-04 dome for TV/desk speakers.
Thanks for finding this, I checked out the build on Troels Gavesen's website. If the AMTPRO-4 doesn't work out, I may end up with a Satori tweeter instead. Too bad the component values of the crossover aren't listed.

Opinions on Pairing Satori MW19PNW-8/AMTPRO-4?Hide this!Advertise here!