Best waveguide under 17.75x6.75" mouth for The Selenium D220Ti

>>> I happen to really like "zillas" blog due to his lack of simply parroting half-baked internet "truths" ( that we must all like "cd directivity uber alles" ).

Many thanks, EarlK! Your assistance was instrumental in my enjoyment! It will be difficult to go back to typical dome and cone tweeters since enjoying CDs plus waveguides. They offer amazing dynamics and clarity in a home environment.

Question for the group... are we all agreeing that a 1” cd plus appropriate waveguide works well with a 15” woofer in a home setup?

Well, it DOES look like the Emilar a bit. Those are kindo' pricey if you find them tho. I'm slogging my way through two building and speaker testing books and Wayne's paper on crossovers, so for the price of a couple of cheap wave guides - we'll call it research. I have the test setup complete, so time to jump in.

... my large and small JBL butt cheeks (2342 & 2344) ...

The JBL 2342 is a nice horn. No problems with a JBL2425 CD. Did a 2-way with an 8" HiVi M8a.

Click HERE for more info.

Attachments

• BLACKBIRD_TA.jpg
    BLACKBIRD_TA.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 407
The JBL 2342 is a nice horn. No problems with a JBL2425 CD. Did a 2-way with an 8" HiVi M8a.

Yes, 4430s here and 2342s with 2417s (lighter diaphragm, good highs) sitting over LE14H-1s. I have all the parts for another 4430 but might hold out for a pair of 2234s to build vertical 4435s.

In the meantime, I build with whatever I can get my hands on, so new products or newly discovered horns interest me. The H812s look interesting so I'll check them out when they arrive.

The Blackbirds look fun. I LIKE 'em.

I just sanded a pair of boxes and built the crossovers for a pair of vertical 4612 Cabaret clones. Imagine them bi-amped so I can run LE14As for the bottom! Just came in from the garage doing that.

Looks like I can put a finish on them, install the drivers and fire them up this weekend. I'll pull these out to poolside for a little fun. Getting warm (but rainy right now) here.

The Blackbirds look fun. I LIKE 'em.

Thanks. Glad you like them.

I would like to make two versions in future. One with a 10", possibly a JBL 127H and the other a 12", a Dayton PA310. I have these woofers in hand so it's just a question of building the boxes.

I just sanded a pair of boxes and built the crossovers for a pair of vertical 4612 Cabaret clones.

The 4612 looks interesting. I'm a fan of two 8".

I wasn't aware that the JBL2404 goes down to 3kHz. I happened to have a pair as well as the Peavey HT94.
Good excuse to put them to good use.

Question for the group... are we all agreeing that a 1” cd plus appropriate waveguide works well with a 15” woofer in a home setup?

I don't know about 'all' but it is working pretty well for me at present (QSC waveguide/B&C DE250 CD/AE TD15M woofer passively crossed and massaged with EQ/room correction and accompanied by additional subs).

Previously had the QSC/DE250 combo crossed to cheapish 12" PA woofers using an Econowave crossover plus EQ. That combo worked great too and offered excellent bang for buck.

As long as the waveguide supports a low crossover point and matches the dispersion of a 15" woofer (like the QSC does) all should be good.

Last edited:
I wasn't aware that the JBL2404 goes down to 3kHz. I happened to have a pair as well as the Peavey HT94. Good excuse to put them to good use.

I think the crossover is closer to 3K. Either way, it's asking the drivers to play out of their range some.

I have had the real 4612s and always have been happy with how they sound BUT, I will measure them and if any HUGE anomalies show up, I have a plan to cross them lower with a smaller horn and a D220Ti. It's just plain fun

Madisound and PE used to stock the M8a. Apparently, they have been out of stock for quite a while.

There is a version using a steel frame, the M8N. I don't have this woofer so don't really know whether it sounds the same as the M8a.

Theoretically, they should be. The difference is that one has a cast frame whereas the other is stamped steel. But you never know.

I would take their T/S with a pinch of salt. My measurements don't correlate with HiVi's specs.

However, their frequency response plot is quite accurate. There is a peak before it dies off. As in all metal cones, the breakup is quite abrupt.

I managed to cross the M8a at 1.5kHz. Believe it or not, with a 1" dome tweeter, the HiVi TN28. Not something I usually do.

Click HERE for more info.

Attachments

• M8A_TN28 FR.gif
    M8A_TN28 FR.gif
    9.4 KB · Views: 356