RAAL ribbon with 4" midbass computer monitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So .... Am I correct when thinking, in THIS particular application, the tweeter was factory set. Leaving ONLY capacitor or capacitors, to be added, thus making any speaker you design with it, having to be designed around the tweeter ?

I mean, most tweeters offer flexibility in application, to some extent. With the 64-10, the only thing changeable is the xover frequency. The slope has been set already by the manufacturer's design. Making this tweeter harder to work with, I would assume ?

Last edited:
Nope. That is kinda protection for tweeter so you can not use it much lower than certain frequency but you can move crossover frequency up or you can do it by adding another coil and a cap for 24dB/o electrically.

Thank you. That explains a lot of my confusion. I was wondering why they would make a tweeter so limited, when it was my knowledge instead ! :D
I was of the belief, the tweeter was limited because of the factory built in inductance. I've been coming from that thought all along.

Its lowest usable frequency is the only thing limited. If you are ok with that, then there's no problem. I know of few good uses for that tweeter. Something like this:

The Slims Tower

NNAcoustics from Serbia makes desktop monitors for about 500€/pair with this ribbon:

N.N. Acoustics - Xenia

EDIT: I just saw you want to try revs with RAAL. I guess that 3.5KHz is a bit highish for 5.5" but since it is nearfield it might work.

Last edited:
Its lowest usable frequency is the only thing limited. If you are ok with that, then there's no problem. I know of few good uses for that tweeter. Something like this:

The Slims Tower

NNAcoustics from Serbia makes desktop monitors for about 500€/pair with this ribbon:

N.N. Acoustics - Xenia

There have been several recommendations in this thread, by extremely knowledgeable members. I do not have enough experience to know how any of them will sound ANY different than the other.
So basically, if any of you truly would like to see these RAALs paired with a particular woofer, for your own interest of any kind, I am willing to build.

Not asking outright at all for a design. Just trying to explain just how much speaker specs mean NOTHING to me, when it comes to translating that to their predicted behaviors or sound, related to those specs. I also have very limited listening experience, compared to most of you, if not all of you ;)

I was mistaken then, about the Revs playing that high. I thought I'd read where they were good to nearly 4000. Must have been another speaker someone recommended. I wouldn't want to chance them not working so well, at their asking price. So we can move on to the next possibility. No issues there.

Since this would be your first project i suggest you buy SB12CAC midwoofers and design something with them.

If you buy measuring equipment - you could make your own measurements of tweeter and midwoofer, upload the files here and we can play together :)

SB Acoustics :: 4” SB12CACS25-4<br><font color="#C70039">SHIPPING</font>

Those are on back order. But I am ALL over this. I will see when they will be available, and order them.

PS; The 5" is available on Madisound

Last edited:
Why would lower sensitivity be a problem for computer monitors, that op said he wants to design ?

If easier crossover is the one with less components, than i say - it depends.

I measured it's response in that small loudspeaker with recommended crossover just to see what Aleksandar wanted for us to hear. I listened that way for some time, then i changed it.

Lowering sensitivity generally changes the sound: negatively.

Yeah, the crossover with baffle diffraction depends on the net result and what your target filter is. (..it's why I mentioned "usually" - it's something that would have to be modeled-out with baffle dimensions to see if it actually was the case with this driver and the desired design filter/baffle/driver etc..)

Was the first graph then RAAL recommended and the second your altered filter? (..it was difficult to tell from the description.) OR are you saying that the 2nd graph was with the RAAL recommended filter (as I assumed), and that you found it wasn't sufficient (for whatever reason), and applied a different filter not shown? :confused:

The crossover point should be arround 3.5KHz.

There are 2 ridges, one just bellow 2KHz and other is the main breakup.

I am not worried about amplitude but about time domain because it rings only 9dB bellow fundament lasting almost 3 times longer than other frequencies in the pass band.

If we are looking at distortions that are -40dB as relevant, why should we avoid to look at resonance ridges the same way - and they are much more detrimental to the sound.

Please explain the "3.5 kHz" (your reasoning).

The "resonance" from about 1.3 to 1.9 kHz, is a surround diaphragm issue (anti-phase alteration, NOT a typical "bell mode" resonance). It's also low in amplitude as it is, more than 20 db at the most substantive ridge (almost a millisecond in) at 1.9 kHz. (..the sonogram is remarkably clean in bandwidth relative to the average.) Practically speaking it's a NON-issue.

We should be looking at linear distortion, but it's a matter of what we are looking for. In particularly we should be concentrating on near time and near average pressure deviance's, and most particularly on deviance's that span a very narrow bandwidth and are above the average *after correction*.

In the Audax's case it's the amplitude change at about 3.8-3.9 kHz, that's most troubling (near average and half a millisecond in spanning a narrow bandwidth). However, the linearity of the driver will be altered and will be suppressed both in amplitude AND time with a good filter and well-summed tweeter.

..btw, I'm not "sold" on the Audax as "THE" solution, rather it's just one that I thought might fit well with the tweeter (in a variety of aspects) with the right design implementation.

Attachments

• audax_hm100z0_csd_color.jpg
    audax_hm100z0_csd_color.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
These are on the way as of now ...

Scan-Speak 15W/4524T02 Limited Edition Woofers

Two of them, if you must know! :D

@ Zvu .... Here I have been telling you things I kave learned about the 64-10, and I just now read a post where you have designed with it before.
I feel pretty dumb now, LOL.

Also, I just found this information about the RAAL ...'

The sensitivity is 91.5 or 94.5 dB depending on whether one uses respectively 8 or 4 Ohm terminal.

You have to wonder where that figure was "grabbed" from. 1 kHz? 2 kHz?

If the working average really is that low then the Audax would likely be to efficient with baffle diffraction (narrow baffle) and a more "simplistic" net 4th order LR filter. On the other hand you could squeeze a bit more bandwith out of it on the low-end with a filter that handled a bit more correction from a lower freq. electrical filter.

-I know, moot now for the Audax regardless. :D

Last edited:
You have to wonder where that figure was "grabbed" from. 1 kHz? 2 kHz?

If the working average really is that low then the Audax would likely be to efficient with baffle diffraction (narrow baffle) and a more "simplistic" net 4th order LR filter. On the other hand you could squeeze a bit more bandwith out of it on the low-end with a filter that handled a bit more correction from a lower freq. electrical filter.

-I know, moot now for the Audax regardless. :D

Just know this ... I did not choose any forum member's suggestion over the other due to their technical points and counter points in this thread.

Because I couldn't understand ANY of them at all ! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.