first time two way speaker. please look over and give advice.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
and we're off... got the last of the cutting done today on the boxes. the high today was 12F I think. It sucked, but now it's an inside project. I think I did a pretty decent job on the cabinets, it's 1/2" baltic birch from my local woodcraft. one 30x48 and one 24x30. might have enough scraps for some sealed satellite boxes. first time working with it, not much tear out or splintering. I'm planning on finishing it with shellac and wax. next on my to do list is decide outside vs. inside faces, cut driver and terminal holes, and then figure out a gluing order.

Attachments

• IMGP9689.JPG
    IMGP9689.JPG
    905.2 KB · Views: 195
  • IMGP9690.JPG
    IMGP9690.JPG
    861 KB · Views: 189
  • IMGP9691.JPG
    IMGP9691.JPG
    758.7 KB · Views: 174
all done. I was disappointed in the finish. It was my fault. I used shellac and then wax. i wasn't careful and made it uneven. maybe i'll strip it and try again. the wife likes it fine so, why bother. so the original purpose of these speakers was to fit in a specific drawer so they could be put away when not in use. I think they sound pretty great. there are some definite room gain notes that i'm not going to worry about because this is mostly for tv and movies and if the low dramatic rumble is to loud and unbalanced, i don't care. speech is very clear thanks to the full range driver, and the bass is very impressive for such small drivers in reasonable boxes. just playing test tones on youtube the bass is very usable to 35hz. this is all at less than 85db. rap and electronic music bass is all very solid except for some of the lowest notes that my full size sub can't hit either. very satisfied with the project. for around 300 bucks i got an amp and two speakers that are a perfect fit for the space I have. to me they sound deep enough, loud enough, and very clear and detailed. doubt I could have do the same for the same price store bought. Gfiandy, thanks again for the help, couldn't be happier with the sound.

Attachments

• IMGP9712.JPG
    IMGP9712.JPG
    844.8 KB · Views: 90
  • IMGP9711.jpg
    IMGP9711.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 78
  • IMGP9709.JPG
    IMGP9709.JPG
    179.3 KB · Views: 81
  • IMGP9710.jpg
    IMGP9710.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 71
  • IMGP9708.JPG
    IMGP9708.JPG
    181.6 KB · Views: 75
  • IMGP9707.JPG
    IMGP9707.JPG
    179.8 KB · Views: 58
  • IMGP9706.jpg
    IMGP9706.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 56
  • IMGP9705.jpg
    IMGP9705.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 148
  • IMGP9704.jpg
    IMGP9704.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 152
The lift through 300 to 4k with the extra lift arround 1-2k is probably what is giving you the vocal clarity but if it works dont knock it.

Bass peak is larger than the sim but you might have some room or wall gain there as well.

Thanks for the graph it is interesting to see how it worked out.

the room/wall gain is really directional. luckily it seems the highest from the listening possition. but even standing up at the couch there is a dramatic drop in bass, it works out well because they are in an area open to the kitchen and so it doesnt sound nearly as loud unless you are actually sitting and listening. im just amazed at how deep those little 4” 12$ drivers are getting. every once in a while i think im hearing distortion in the male speaking range and i wonder if i should have crossed the full ranges a little higher. they really get moving sometimes. it could just as easily be a buzz in the room somewhere i havnt pinned down yet. the wife finally admitted that movies were a lot more fun with them.

If the bass gain is very localised its probably a bass node where bass interference is adding together in phase but it soundslike it has worked out as being useful.

Those drivers are playing quite deep for a small driver. We could look at a more complex crossover if you want to have another go but it would undoubtly mean more cost in parts.

Andy

Howdid you take the measurement of the response as it looks like thereis much less hi frequency than anticipated.

Was it with the microphone on axis with the tweeter with the microphone pointing directly at the tweeter (rather than veryically which I know is sometimes recomended for room measurements)?

the mic was a touch below axis and in the middle of the pair of speakers. proped up by a book on the coffee table. music sounds really good to me. like i said when all this started, bass extension was much more important than flat response to me. and im not sure i hear much above 15k. im more like a car audio kid even though these are home speakers, if it doesnt have impressive bass, it bores me. im saying the project is done unless something breaks. im very happy with the sound. and throwing more money at 70$ worth of drivers seems silly. ill just start saving up for the next build.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.