Hiquphon OW1's big brother ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I really love the HIQ OW1, but wish it were just a little more dynamic ( could play louder). Just wondering if there are other tweeters with that level of "airiness", but with a bit more dynamics ? The Hiq seems a bit delicate sounding to me, when compared to some other large format tweeters.

I really love the HIQ OW1, but wish it were just a little more dynamic ( could play louder). Just wondering if there are other tweeters with that level of "airiness", but with a bit more dynamics ? The Hiq seems a bit delicate sounding to me, when compared to some other large format tweeters.

Put it on a waveguide. It's trivial to raise the output by 10dB or even more on a good waveguide.

I do a lot of projects with the "lowly" SB Acoustics SB19, and I'm constantly astounded by the fact that this cheap 3/4" tweeter is a giant killer on a waveguide. Basically there are $100 tweeters that can sound very dynamic and clean on a flat baffle, but stick the SB19 on a waveguide and it will crush all of them. And it might be tempting to put a 1" tweeter on a waveguide, but that doesn't work so hot, the larger diaphragm creates peaks and dips above 10khz.

3/4" tweeters on waveguides are tough to beat.

Put it on a waveguide. It's trivial to raise the output by 10dB or even more on a good waveguide.

I do a lot of projects with the "lowly" SB Acoustics SB19, and I'm constantly astounded by the fact that this cheap 3/4" tweeter is a giant killer on a waveguide. Basically there are $100 tweeters that can sound very dynamic and clean on a flat baffle, but stick the SB19 on a waveguide and it will crush all of them. And it might be tempting to put a 1" tweeter on a waveguide, but that doesn't work so hot, the larger diaphragm creates peaks and dips above 10khz.

Your response is like a late Xmas present. Thanks

Good is subjective.

Waveguides may add 95% benefit and 5% drawback. For "lowly" tweeters, the 95% is more important than the 5% (its a nothing to loose upgrade). For "better" tweeters the 5% (or even 1% drawback) may be a big issue.

NOTE: I would say that the 95% is an increase in usability. The 5% is a reduction in quality. Change it to 99% versus 1%, it doesn't change the point.

Patrick, which waveguide are you using?
Thanks

Dave Pellegrene did a lot of tweeter tests on waveguides he used to sell. Here's a LINK to all his test results. For the larger (>= 1" ) tweeters the ring radiators, particularly those with a phase plug (e.g. XT25TG30), did quite well. I'll agree with Patrick that 3/4" tweeters do quite well too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.