Bookshelf Suggestions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello there,
I'd like to build a pair of 2-way bass reflex bookshelf speakers and I'm looking for your driver suggestions.
I've a little bit of experience designing and building with the "Loudspeaker Cookbook".
I'm particularly seeking your low-medium cost woofer make/model suggestions. I'm thinking 6.5"-7" diameter to keep the enclosure size reasonable and still give me some bass.
I have a pair of unused Vifa D25AG-35-6ohm tweeters left over from an old project. It would be good to use them but if you can suggest some modern low cost alternative that will outperform them then please do so.
Fire away!
Thanks,
Andrew.

I'm thinking 6.5"-7" diameter to keep the enclosure size reasonable and still give me some bass.
I have a pair of unused Vifa D25AG-35-6ohm tweeters left over from an old project.

Local Dealers - Wagner have SB, Peerless, Vifa, Scanspeak. Best Value in Oz is probably this SBNRXC35-8 driver, $15 cheaper than the Peerless. [/url]

Should be a good marriage.
A ported cabinet of about 0.75cuft with dimensions around H17" W10" D12.5" will deliver -F3 ~42Hz. Position the port about 1" off-center for reduced baffle edge diffraction. The 3rd order Butterworth crossovers used offer even power output and enough phase shift to mask the physical offset of the tweet and mid on a flat baffle.

ALTERNATIVE: Stepped baffles which physically time align the tweeter have become popular, with the compromise of increase edge diffraction from the extra baffle board. Google and study. LR2 crossover circuits are used to phase align a stepped baffle design. Easy to design a LR2/LR2 crossover if you decide to build a stepped baffle.

Attachments

• SB17 DG25.JPG
    SB17 DG25.JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 458
Thanks for that LineSource. I'm very keen to try the BW3 crossover.
I like the idea of that SB driver but it needs a bigger enclosure than I really have room for.. I realise they'll give good bass but my better half will not like the shelf getting crowded by them.. The Peerless 830875 may be good compromise. The FaitalPRO 5FE120 is also an interesting option to go smaller again. Do you think the 5" FaitalPRO will have significantly less bass than the 6.5" Peerless?

I like the idea of that SB driver but it needs a bigger enclosure than I really have room for..
The SB17NRXC35-8 produces under 50Hz bass even in a 0.5cuft cabinet, which is easy to achieve with a bottom slot port or rear port.

SB17NRXC35 has a 6.7" diameter frame, and the SB15NRXC30 has a 5.9" diameter frame.
Small difference in diameter. Small cabinet size difference when both crossover and port are included.

Attachments

• Botom Slot Port.jpg
    Botom Slot Port.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 400
Will the 0.6 cuft cabinet in this article meet your size and style goals?
-Loudspeakermagazine 2012 > April 2012 > SB 18

SB 18 - April 2012 - Loudspeakermagazine 2012 | Loudspeakerbuilding

=========
If you decide to reduce the internal volume to 0.5cuft, keep the internal width = 19mm = 7.5" and modestly reduce the depth and height.
SLOT PORT for 0.5cuft internal volume. Width = 7.5" Height=0.5" Depth =9.7" (which include the thickness of the front baffle)

You can get reduced baffle diffraction if you mount the tweeter 1" off-center. This spreads the pressure wave energy over a wider variation of baffle lengths.

Mount the crossover behind the tweeter so it will not restrict woofer air flow.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.