Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Coaxial Speaker Build Thread with FaitalPro 6HX150
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th January 2018, 08:53 PM   #51
drewan is offline drewan  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi, Thankyou thankyou thankyou on how to make a jig for awkward shapes. I'm 30 yrs a carpenter and didn't know how to do that. Any good ideas about a jig for the FE4?.
Old 19th January 2018, 06:32 AM   #52
JShadzi is offline JShadzi  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Coaxial Speaker Build Thread with FaitalPro 6HX150

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewan
Hi, Thankyou thankyou thankyou on how to make a jig for awkward shapes. I'm 30 yrs a carpenter and didn't know how to do that. Any good ideas about a jig for the FE4?.

Hah my pleasure!
Old 19th January 2018, 06:32 AM   #53
diyAudio Member

Ok coming along, wrapping up the saw dust phase of the project!

Time for some binding posts, Iím putting in binding posts for each driver as in the future I may consider going fully active on this.

An externally hosted image should be here but it is no longer accessible. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.

Iíll be doing a recessed bowl cut for the binding posts, the recessed circular binding post provision has sort of become a little design detail on every build I do, and Iím taking it to the next level by doing a curved bowl cut. The binding posts are located between the two lower braces in the enclosure

Click the image to open in full size.

The ID of the template is 4Ē, which is held securely with double sided tape

And the bowl cut

As you can see the bottom cut of the bit doesnít leave the smoothest surface

Template removed

Surface irregularities are easily removed with a 2 inch sanding disc

After sanding with up to a 250 grit finish

And with binding posts temporarily put in place

Since the baffle for the woofer flange was so thick I wanted to put a relief cut to make sure the woofer can breathe easily, Iím not bothering doing anything with the mid as the baffle flange is only about 1/2 inch thick there, and thereís plenty of breathing room. The challenge with the kerf baffle like this is that I really didnít want to cut driver holes before bending the kerfs as I didnít want to weaken or put any extra flex in the baffle assembly, so this meant I wasnít able to put any relief cuts from the outside so Iím doing it from the inside with this under round over bit for Magnate.

Woofer flange thickness

I lined the midrange enclosures with sorbothane, then lined that with 3/4Ē wool, then stuffed with poly fill

And ready for some crossover tuning

Thanks!
Javad
Old 21st January 2018, 05:34 AM   #54
diyAudio Member

Tuning for the Pretty Persuasions is coming along well, I have initial modeling done in Xsim and I’m waiting on some crossover parts which will be here Tuesday.

In the meantime I did a quick DSP tune using a MiniDSP 4x8 Sharc, really cool unit as it runs a digital coax input which I run directly out of my laptop for a fully digital signal path into the DSP. I’m running an Adcom GFA-2535 50watt x 4 to the mids and tweeters, and an Adcom GFA-545 to the 8” woofers giving them about 100 Watts each. Crossover points are approx 1000hz at 48db and 200hz at 24db, the amount of PEQ was minimal, I used about 10 filters total to create a response w/in a dB or two full spectrum, and it could be even flatter.

Bass response is flat to about 35hz, my initial impression with this woofer and enclosure are excellent, bass is tight and fast with a warm ported sound and no bloat or sloppiness. My only concern with this woofer (I need to test the other), is that at close to xmax it does make a small sound I can hear if I’m close to it, almost sounds like tinsel slap, I need to investigate further, worst case there are several other more high end woofers with 220mm frames I can use if I need to (I just need to mind a tight budget for the InDIYana event).

See attached for response charts, active makes it so easy to hit whatever response you desire, my passive crossover won’t be nearly this smooth. I also took a few videos, these won’t be winning any Golden Globe awards but they show the speakers, give you an idea that they don’t sound terrible, check them out.

Overall I’m thrilled with how this one speaker sounds in mono, if I have time tomorrow I’m going to assemble the second speaker and listen in stereo, that should be a treat. This is definitely a point source speaker and it sounds like it, I’ll write more about the sound as I spend more time with these guys. Thanks!

Response on axis no smoothing and 1/6, this is with the mic 20” from the tweeter

With individual driver responses

On axis, 22d and 45d

Video of one speaker playing in mono, also showing some of the DSP setup

[video] YouTube[/video]
Old 21st January 2018, 05:35 AM   #55
Pallas is offline Pallas  Pakistan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JShadzi View Post
Ok coming along, wrapping up the saw dust phase of the project!

Time for some binding posts, Iím putting in binding posts for each driver as in the future I may consider going fully active on this.
Why mar an interesting speaker design with primitive kludge connectors when the Speakon exists? In 4- and 8- pole variants?
Old 21st January 2018, 06:23 AM   #56
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallas
Why mar an interesting speaker design with primitive kludge connectors when the Speakon exists? In 4- and 8- pole variants?

I guess I prefer ďkludgeĒ connectors like most speaker builders, they allow flexible connections for just about any speaker wire option. After everything Iíve posted this is the one comment you have though? *rolls eyes*

Thanks,
Javad
Old 21st January 2018, 02:48 PM   #57
phivates is offline phivates  United States
diyAudio Member

+ 2 eyes rolling
Old 21st January 2018, 10:51 PM   #58
Pano is online now Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Here's my "one comment". That router bit is boss! Haven't ever used one like that.
Old 21st January 2018, 11:33 PM   #59
globalplayer is offline globalplayer  Germany
diyAudio Member

Looking very sexy.
Old 21st January 2018, 11:58 PM   #60
mordikai is online now mordikai  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mordikai
Keep it up Javad, looking good!

Coaxial Speaker Build Thread with FaitalPro 6HX150Hide this!Advertise here!