DIY vs brand speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thank you for the advice. What I am looking with this idea is to build a pair of bookshelf speakers that sound better that what I own now. I really don't need speakers, so building cheap ones isn't what I am looking for. I have owned many entry level speakers such as B&W, Monitor Audio (still keep them) Paradigm, Epos, Mirage, Boston Acoustic, etc. However, they are entry level. I have never owned Dynaudio, Proac, Usher, etc. I am probably wrong giving too much value to the drivers (aspiring Danish drivers such as Scan Speak, Vifa, Peerles, etc) and more elaborated crossovers. I still don't know if the drivers play the biggest role or it is the enclosure, crossover, and tuning. In a few words, expending money buying top drivers don't offer any security the speakers will sound good, at least, this is what I am understanding.

Last edited:
If you are looking for bookshelf speakers, you should better buy off-the-shelf products. They are good and not expensive enough for you to DIY.

From my experience, the good drivers are important for bookshelf speakers. However, you must match the drivers, the crossover, the enclosure, not to mention the amplifier, so it would be troublesome if you don't have time to do it properly.

Joined 2017
Paid Member
Can a DIY design rival a high end speaker?

The answer to your question is YES, and in many cases easily surpass a high-end commercial speaker.

I still don't know if the drivers play the biggest role or it is the enclosure, crossover, and tuning

assuming you have decent to good drivers - the crossover.

Yes, there are some exceptions...someone mentioned a powered monitor with an aluminum enclosure, so yes if you really want an aluminum speaker that might be an exception, but it an exception rather than the rule.

Start here Speaker Bible

If you read enough of that, you will likely come to the decision to build a proven design.

One post did mention an important caveat, that building the cabinets can require space and tools. I have a garage and quite a few tools: table saw, table drill, router and router table, etc. Other than an aluminum enclosure, I can build a higher-quality and better looking cabinet than most high-end commercial speakers.

Many proven designs can come with full kits (including "flat pack" cabinets) - check out Parts Express, Meniscus, DIY Sound Group, and I'm sure many others.

Giving a passive speaker the tonality that you want is no easy at all! One must learn a lot of acoustics and electronics to do that, even by trial and error. And secondly many have noticed that they like different speakers for different recordings.
Small two-way speakers are easy to start diy with, but as mentioned, it is really hard to beat commercial products.
With tall multi-way speakers diy-benefit is maximal, but they also require lots of skill, that must be gained first...
There are many free loudspeaker design/simulation programs that are worth learning. We have also many free measuring software. We have some very good dsp-xo boxes that make active multiway speakers possible for those who are poor at mathematics like me!
It's a long and winding road! Wellcome along!

Some people may think that DIY loudspeakers are a waist of time and money because we must learn and buy more loudspeakers drivers than we really need and put some loudspeaker prototypes enclosures in the trashcan.
And at the end we exactly know why and how we've succeed.

The commercial loudspeakers that sound good in the shops also very often don't sound good in the customer room, therfore they buy and resell a lot of loudspeakers and also lost a lot of time and a lot of money... until they've found the right loudpseakers for their room.
They don't know why they succed at all.

Life is made of that kind of choices, every one is criticable.

Last edited:
I still don't know if the drivers play the biggest role or it is the enclosure, crossover, and tuning. In a few words, expending money buying top drivers don't offer any security the speakers will sound good, at least, this is what I am understanding.

A better designer can make a better speaker with cheaper driver.

But when there is no issue with skill and expertise, top speakers can only be made with top drivers.

So make sure you know which designs to choose (definitely not your own).

What I am looking with this idea is to build a pair of bookshelf speakers that sound better that what I own now.

Just to start practical: At what maximal dimensions are we looking here ?
Because dimension dictate maximal netto volume for the TMT and limit for
example the number of drivers from which can be choosen.
Also how are the speakers placed in the listening room ?

The answer to your question is YES, and in many cases easily surpass a high-end commercial speaker.

assuming you have decent to good drivers - the crossover.

Yes, there are some exceptions...someone mentioned a powered monitor with an aluminum enclosure, so yes if you really want an aluminum speaker that might be an exception, but it an exception rather than the rule.

Start here Speaker Bible

If you read enough of that, you will likely come to the decision to build a proven design.

One post did mention an important caveat, that building the cabinets can require space and tools. I have a garage and quite a few tools: table saw, table drill, router and router table, etc. Other than an aluminum enclosure, I can build a higher-quality and better looking cabinet than most high-end commercial speakers.

Many proven designs can come with full kits (including "flat pack" cabinets) - check out Parts Express, Meniscus, DIY Sound Group, and I'm sure many others.

Thank you so much for the reference.! I don't have the tools to build the enclosures, however, I know a very good wood shop nearby that can do it for me, at least all the cuts and the router work. I can assemble the parts myself. Love to see pictures of those you have built.

Just to start practical: At what maximal dimensions are we looking here ?
Because dimension dictate maximal netto volume for the TMT and limit for
example the number of drivers from which can be choosen.
Also how are the speakers placed in the listening room ?

I want to build sealed enclosures with 8" drivers. I have been looking to the drivers I can afford and the final decision should be one of these:

Peerless 830667 8" woofer
Scanspeak Discovery 22/W8534600 8" woofer

SB Acoustic SB 26ADC metal dome tweeter
Peerless DA25BG08 metal dome tweeter
Seas Prestige 22TAF/G metal dome tweeter

I am open to build any combination using those listed. A two way sealed bookshelf. They are going to be listened in a 15' x 15' room and placed around 1 feet from a wall. My budget is around $600 for all. The wood work will be done by a good carpenter who has a shop nearby me.

Thanks for all.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I upgraded a pair of Kef 104

You must mean a pr of KEF104 Reference series or some such. KEF 104s were well under $1,000/pr new when i was selling them.

kef_model_104ab.jpg

dave

I love designing and building speakers. I love reading build threads and articles about designing them. I love going to conferences or traveling cross country to hear special designs.

It's actually a cheap hobby once you get the tools for it. Plus you'll learn woodworking and soldering.

The best speakers I've heard were all DIY designs. Each builder had at least 5 years of experience though so keep that in mind.

There are so many good designs in speakers. Brand speakers i currently own include Quad 63 electrostatic, Ohm Walsh2, Genesis 2 ways, 3 ways, and servo subs, Rogers bookshelf speakers, and RA Labs. Every one of them has been tweeked in various ways to improve the downward dynamic range by quieting all the little cabinet resonances, driver reflections, etc. There are just some things that even brand names don't spend the time and money on that do make a difference. If I were to buy another rather than design my own I would certainly buy the LX Mini. Have heard it many times in many rooms and its a keeper. Most likely I will buy it now that Nelson Pass has an analog crossover for it. And even after all that I am still intending to build a design of my own. I treasure the experience of being able to share music with others just as I treasure the opportunity to hear live performances. I would encourage anyone to be "active" with this hobby rather than passive. You might be amazed at how close you can come to the cost no object systems, and you'll learn a lot and have fun doing it.

I agree somewhat but if you do your research and take it slow it can be fun , I heavily modified some ElectroVoice status 50 's and made my center channel from scratch. Here's a pic . That center is massive weighs about 60 kg is a 3 way crosses with an LR2 @ 450 Hz and 3800 Hz has a Lpad on the mids.
The enclosure is heavily braced lined with felt and stuffing and is a sealed unit.

View attachment 653121

You are absolutely right, it is fun , but only when you are happy with the results. Btw your speaker looks great!

Yes, you can build your own speakers that rival commercial brands. However, if your only goal is to save money, I would instead buy a nice used pair of commercial speakers. It’s kinda like saying, I’m going to save money on buying fish by becoming a fisherman ;-) If you already have the woodworking tools, have an interest in learning, and time to do this, DIY speaker building is a rewarding hobby. I think most people on this site will tell you that the journey is as rewarding as the destination.

You are right that high end drivers and crossover components are expensive - several thousands of dollars. It’s generally a good idea to build a starter kit before trying to compete with Wilson Audio or Sonus Faber.

There are designs and kits available depending on how much you want to do yourself. This is an interesting site DIY-Loudspeakers and there are others.

I love to tinker, especially with audio gear. But I've never gotten very good at woodworking, nor do I have the best tools for that job. So when it comes to speakers, it makes more sense for someone like me to begin with some nice commercially produced enclosures (Sony SS-M3 in my case). These are 1" MDF, trapezoidal, solidly braced with nice cherry wood veneer, and the original Peerless drivers are decent.

Starting there, my DIY approach has been to switch from the original passive to active DSP for crossovers, driver and room correction via careful measurement and listening tests. This has been a fun and rewarding process, and my speakers are now working on a level I never would've imagined. My only problem now is that I no longer feel the constant need to tinker with them! :)

sony-ssm3.jpg

I love to tinker, especially with audio gear. But I've never gotten very good at woodworking, nor do I have the best tools for that job. So when it comes to speakers, it makes more sense for someone like me to begin with some nice commercially produced enclosures (Sony SS-M3 in my case). These are 1" MDF, trapezoidal, solidly braced with nice cherry wood veneer, and the original Peerless drivers are decent.

Starting there, my DIY approach has been to switch from the original passive to active DSP for crossovers, driver and room correction via careful measurement and listening tests. This has been a fun and rewarding process, and my speakers are now working on a level I never would've imagined. My only problem now is that I no longer feel the constant need to tinker with them! :)

View attachment 653205
Nice

There are excellent kits available using qyality components and proven designs.

It's my opinion that each "layer" of component (drivers, Crossover order, cabinet features) complicates the likelihood of getting all the parts to play well together.

As a fan of open baffle designs, with higher sensitivity drivers my preference is for simple.

See ZaphAudio, Meniscus and Troels Gravesen

I think that building good speakers is easier than ever today. There are many resources to do it, computers, programs, instruments to take measurements, a huge driver selection, books, quality materials to finish them, etc. The drivers come with all technical data and computer programs do all. At the end, the sound of one speaker is a matter of personal preference. I have spent hours listening some Sonus Faber models with Krell electronic and don't like them. Same thing with Focal. This is the point I am afraid building someone else design. If the person who designed the speakers tuned them based on his own preferences, I may find those preferences aren't my preferences. We don't listen to electrical data but sound. Of course, I am telling this considering the instruments are showing the design is acoustical and electrically correct. A soft dome tweeter doesn't sound the same than a metal dome tweeter, even when you may have both set up correctly. And this is the point, I don't want to spend my money based on the fact that an experienced designer made the speakers. This doesn't offer any security you will be happy the way they sound.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.