Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Good alternative to Audio Technology C-Quenze mid bass ?
Good alternative to Audio Technology C-Quenze mid bass ?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th December 2017, 11:15 PM   #1
Flaxxer is offline Flaxxer  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Good alternative to Audio Technology C-Quenze mid bass ?

I'm really familiar with the Audio Technology C-Quenze 6.5" mid bass drivers in a 2-way. I've owned them, and enjoyed them. I only wish they had more slam and bass. What other drivers sound really good like this, but offer a bit more aggressive sounding bass ?
Old 19th December 2017, 12:41 AM   #2
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

"6.5 inch" and "slam" are words not often used together, IMO.
Old 19th December 2017, 01:08 AM   #3
fishball79 is offline fishball79  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to fishball79
Am an ex-C-quenze 15H owner & know what you mean.

If I have kept them, I'd use two to four Hivi D6.8 woofers in a bass module to sit your 2 way on, crossed around 200-400hz to match baffle step.

The D6.8 woofers has an excellent bass punch when housed in a 10 litre aperiodic cabinet (Just had a ~6mm hole drilled into the sealed box)

By using a few of them per audio channel & crossing over to the 2 ways at bafflestep, the increased efficiency would allow you to remove baffle step from your 2ways resulting in a high efficiency speaker.
Old 19th December 2017, 01:46 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron E View Post
"6.5 inch" and "slam" are words not often used together, IMO.
I want to say, good point. But there are different types and levels of 'slam'

A great 6.5 can punch hard in it's own way. Look at the 7" Anarchy woofer.

I feel the low end is too 'polite' on the AT C-Quenze for my long term tastes. I don't want to lose the finesse or fidelity of that speaker, but want a better low end from a like sized driver. Maybe a Revelator ?
Old 19th December 2017, 01:55 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishball79 View Post
Am an ex-C-quenze 15H owner & know what you mean.

If I have kept them, I'd use two to four Hivi D6.8 woofers in a bass module to sit your 2 way on, crossed around 200-400hz to match baffle step.

The D6.8 woofers has an excellent bass punch when housed in a 10 litre aperiodic cabinet (Just had a ~6mm hole drilled into the sealed box)

By using a few of them per audio channel & crossing over to the 2 ways at bafflestep, the increased efficiency would allow you to remove baffle step from your 2ways resulting in a high efficiency speaker.
Ah hah ! He understands ! LOL

I think I will play around with some D6.8s in the future.

But the C-Quenze are gone already. I'm wanting to build another killer two way, but with more of the low end goodness.

I'm not blessed with a lot of money. I am at a disadvantage, because I haven't been able to hear many of the DIY speakers, to know the basic sonic differences between a Scan, Seas, Peerless, etc .... I SO VERY wish I did have that knowledge, and I wouldn't have to be asking questions like this thread, LOL.

The C-Quenze made stuff like Amos Lee sound like sex smothered on bread ... but left aggressive music styles like rock, rap, metal, or electronica making me want to take a nap before noon.
Old 19th December 2017, 02:11 AM   #6
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Use the same driver with this:

Car Audio - Series Notch Filter - Speaker Impedance Correction at Fs (Resonant Frequency)

Make sure that your inductor's resistance is a low as possible.

Then net result depending on your enclosure design with respect to your driver and the current drive of you amplifer, is (at its best) often a bit more "punch", greater clarity, and a seemingly half-octave of added extension on the low-end. (..it also helps to have a weighted-down cabinet and very good/ridged coupling of the driver to the baffle - which is why you'll see chrome-plated brass rings that the driver is attached to in some of the more expensive designs.)

EDIT: oops, didn't see that you'd already gotten rid of the driver.

Not much else sounds similar to AT poly-magnesium drivers at higher freq.s.. SB Acoustics has some good poly drivers (also magesium filled) that might be a bit closer to that sound.. but I doubt they have any more "drive" at lower freq.s..

I'd look to the 5" driver from SB.. it's a particularly fine specimen:

Zaph|Audio

..then add drivers with higher force for the bass.

Last edited by ScottG; 19th December 2017 at 02:14 AM.
Old 19th December 2017, 02:18 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Flaxxer,

The D6.8 was reccomended specifically only if you already have the C-quenze but want improvements. It's has a 4" voice coil is very high power handling so it doesnt trim off the loudest bits of bass transients (power compression) most home audio drivers do. It also has a flaw that adds to exictement/slam, which is the high 3rd order distortion it emits.

If you are in the market for a 2 way again, the D6.8's midrange isn't good enough an alternative to the C-quenze.

I have tried the seas, scans and what not and have settled on paper cones for a do it all. Yes you can get what you want out of a 2way but we're talking about a large 15" midwoofer and a compression driver behind a equally wide horn.

Are you mentally ready for that kind of size?
Old 19th December 2017, 02:28 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishball79 View Post
Flaxxer,

The D6.8 was reccomended specifically only if you already have the C-quenze but want improvements. It's has a 4" voice coil is very high power handling so it doesnt trim off the loudest bits of bass transients (power compression) most home audio drivers do. It also has a flaw that adds to exictement/slam, which is the high 3rd order distortion it emits.

If you are in the market for a 2 way again, the D6.8's midrange isn't good enough an alternative to the C-quenze.

I have tried the seas, scans and what not and have settled on paper cones for a do it all. Yes you can get what you want out of a 2way but we're talking about a large 15" midwoofer and a compression driver behind a equally wide horn.

Are you mentally ready for that kind of size?
If I actually heard a large 15" midwoofer and a compression driver behind a equally wide horn, that sounded as good as a Vapor Audio, Salk Sound, Statements, Etc when it comes to making the hi rez audiophile recordings sound So amazing, I'd buy them really, really fast.

I can see big Pro style speakers making rock, metal, electronica, etc sound amazing .... but I struggle to imagine finesse SQ music sounding as well. Maybe my ignorance.

But the speaker's size is of no relevance to me. I can stand ANY sized speaker.
Old 19th December 2017, 02:29 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

ScottG,
I was just wondering last night about if these notch filters making the impedance of the speaker flat works and if it has any side effects. I measured a pair of SB floorstanders I got and simulated 2 zoebels in X-Sim, the result looks damn good but does it work in real life?

Click the image to open in full size.
Red is DATS measured impedance and Blue is after adding two series notch filters

Last edited by fishball79; 19th December 2017 at 02:36 AM.
Old 19th December 2017, 02:45 AM   #10
andy2 is offline andy2  United States
diyAudio Member

I would suggest SBAcoustic if you prefer slam and bass, but you'll loose the midrange.

Good alternative to Audio Technology C-Quenze mid bass ?Hide this!Advertise here!