Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Good alternative to Audio Technology C-Quenze mid bass ?
Good alternative to Audio Technology C-Quenze mid bass ?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st December 2017, 12:52 AM   #21
Flaxxer is offline Flaxxer  United States
diyAudio Member

I may have decided ... I'm really seriously considering using these drivers as my next build
ScanSpeak D3004 - 660000
ScanSpeak 18W8531G00
ScanSpeak 30W4558T00

In a large 3 way. Should be dynamic enough.
Old 21st December 2017, 02:41 AM   #22
fishball79 is offline fishball79  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to fishball79
Flaxxer,
Great that you are going 3way but Scanspeaks are even more polite and further from what you want bass and lows wise.
Old 21st December 2017, 03:02 AM   #23
Flaxxer is offline Flaxxer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishball79 View Post
Flaxxer,
Great that you are going 3way but Scanspeaks are even more polite and further from what you want bass and lows wise.
I sure wish I could hear all of these different offerings .... I have no clue.

So here is what I've decided so far. I am going with some 12" woofer, with a 6.5"midrange, and one of these three tweeters, according to midrange choice:
ScanSpeak D3004 - 6600, Transducer Lab, N26CR2-G, or a ribbon if I just have to.

But that is the 3 way configuration I am dreaming of. Something that can do everything well. A LARGE floorstander with great dynamics. Micro and Macro.
This would be my very own reference pair, and is separate from the project for my son.
Old 21st December 2017, 03:22 AM   #24
fishball79 is offline fishball79  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to fishball79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaxxer View Post
Something that can do everything well.
No one speaker does everything well.

3 ways with a large woofer is great for fullrange performance but may not give the punch you want. Notice no one here mentions large woofers for punch. In my experience, I get more punch from a speaker with six $23 SB OEM 6" midwoofers for rock/pop music than from one (of the best) $500 15" woofers.

The punch you are asking for is, IMO, actually odd order distortion from 6-7" woofers pushed beyond their normal operating range. They also roll off early so real low bass (~20-45hz) is truncated, giving it an apparent sense of speed as the rumbly longtail of a bass note is not noticed.

But the 15" woofer gives me better inner detail into the music and extension needed for classical and better recorded music with alot of rumbly lows.

The right speaker for everyone actually has a bunch of tradeoffs doing best in what you need more, less in others.

If you dont ever need to hear organ pipes or shake the house watching movies, a 3 way with whichever tweeter and mid you want matched to a bank of said Hivi D6.8 might do the trick better.
Old 21st December 2017, 04:45 AM   #25
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaxxer View Post
I sure wish I could hear all of these different offerings .... I have no clue.

So here is what I've decided so far. I am going with some 12" woofer, with a 6.5"midrange, and one of these three tweeters, according to midrange choice:
ScanSpeak D3004 - 6600, Transducer Lab, N26CR2-G, or a ribbon if I just have to.

But that is the 3 way configuration I am dreaming of. Something that can do everything well. A LARGE floorstander with great dynamics. Micro and Macro.
This would be my very own reference pair, and is separate from the project for my son.

Why a 6.5 mid-range?

3-way is a good idea, it can separate that tactile bass vs. high clarity midrange. Better still is a 4-way.

Look to a high force (Bl) with higher Mms for its Sd and a lower Qe ..usually from a pro driver manufacturer - to get that tactile sound.
Old 21st December 2017, 06:20 AM   #26
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

This one is good looking in the lower-midrange/upper-bass (..and not bad up to 2kHz):

Test Bench: Dayton Audio DSA175 Designer Series 6.5” Woofer

Good force, low resistance near resting point, and cheap:

Dayton Audio DSA175-8 6-1/2" Designer Series Aluminum Cone Woofer

..the only problem is that it's not efficient (..but not inefficient either - comparatively). (..and it will need a notch-out at just under 5 kHz.)

Last edited by ScottG; 21st December 2017 at 06:27 AM.
Old 21st December 2017, 06:36 AM   #27
Bill poster is offline Bill poster  Thailand
diyAudio Member

Another option is the venerable 18w/4531 rev.
Good bass response, sensitive, great midrange, flat response for simple x/o (can be crossed at 2.5khz with minimal beaming according to a recent test)
Not bad value either imo
Old 16th April 2018, 12:13 PM   #28
daniels is offline daniels  Denmark
diyAudio Member

To get that aggressive punch (almost horn-like punch) you could try and look in the PA world.

Maybe PHL Audio? - which I think have a lot of "HiFi" sound with the punch of PA.

Good alternative to Audio Technology C-Quenze mid bass ?Hide this!Advertise here!