LX mini quest

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would recommend this...
-Run them with same polarity. If not, you'll get an unloading below Fs.
-I would also try a 2.5-way if you use 2 woofers. This will negate the distance between the woofers, and the lower woofer will not have to struggle to meet the widebander due to the distance they are separated. It just takes a largish I-core coil in series with the lower driver, and the L/driver series combo then in parallel to the other woofer, to facilitate the X.5 implementation.
Later,
Wolf

Thanks Wolf,
Haven't thought about driver unloading below Fs. Thank you.
Crossover ...do you mean same thing like this ?

Attachments

• Wolf.jpg
    Wolf.jpg
    759.2 KB · Views: 632
I bet you having god time with OmniDirectional project ...looks bloody god !
A bit jealous about those pipes you are using... i can`t get those in our tiny Denmark. I have to use real stuff like 3" heavy duty water pipe ( don't even let me start on a pricing ).
Omni directional design is a way to go with a speakers ,off course let not to forget about CBT Speakers .
Thinking about most impressive speaker designs and god execution of those it would be omni directional but not a boxy designs.
Just let us take Ohm Walsh , Duevel Sirius, B&O enter in a sound market when dinosaur has walked the earth, even they can`t came up with anything better as a last resort staying on a water surface , but with omnidirectional speaker design .
So we are on the right road DonVK !!

Last edited:
I've never heard of them (RIPOL) previously so I had to look them up .

They look like a very interesting and compact design. It was described as a folded dipole. I was thinking of how to model it to predict its performance. A few articles described it as very good for music, but not punchy enough for Home Theatre. There were no measurements so that's speculation.

P.S. The sewer pipes are 4" PVC , are very common here, and cheap.

Last edited:
Dipole designs are beautiful as well ! To me dipole-bi pole-omnidirectional is like a wardrobe for the same person. Clothing different but the person is the same. All it is about execution.
About those widebands...yes that was an idea .

Last edited:
Sound is a bit like perfume...never is the same to two people.
Personalty, I make division in a bass....15-120 Hz dipole bass..it gives same how natural feeling of space where recording was done.
From 50-400 Hz I like sealed box for obvious reasons.
I know we don't have receipt for " ideal" speakers because all speaker designs is compromise. This is a beautiful reason why we building a speaker systems as hobby and sharing discovery of compromises. I think such process is just beautiful.

I don't see that there's anything wrong with mix and match, some people do, but then don't explain why. I like dipole bass for its musicality, but mainly because it doesn't pressurize the room, which I find uncomfortable on my ears. What are the obvious reasons that you like a sealed box from a 50-400Hz?

You are so right..that pressure in a ears ..drive me mad and I will start to hate music not enjoying at all.
And it is so apposite different picture with dipole bass ...I can`t have enough of music,even electronic gives another meaning.
I love to listen "Yello"recordings,don't even tray those with vented bass and there we not even talking about "Infected Mushroom".

Ok benefits of sealed enclosure: quality of bass reproduction and superior group delay performance, usually super bass transients,
the deepest-sounding bass tones, and the most clearly resolved bass textures. For me that more than enough.

Last edited:
Main reason why this thread was started was benefits of sealed enclosure. I have asked you help me out with advice to fine tune all those fantastic qualities sealed enclosure has to offer.

I have tried Bass Reflex, Aperiodic BiChamber and Sealed designs with the 8" woofer in my Omni. I could never get enough bass below 100Hz. So I settled on sealed (16L) for >100Hz and added a subwoofer for <100Hz. I actually use 2 subwoofers to get even response in the room.

You absolutely right ,DonVK, 8 "woofer is just not enough to get you down below 100 hz...doesn't matter design. No matter what, you need to have woofers in your sound set up to get it all .
I guess quest we are came to two main themes:
1. Max driver(s) size reproducing bass with no colouration and still doing well in a group delay performance and the rest #35
This is why Im thinking about second bass driver.
2. Practical tips getting out of driver(s) finesse of god bass and the rest #35

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.