Bluetooth speaker build... more bass!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I have dug up an old project that I got sidetracked on ages ago :rolleyes: which is a bluetooth speaker build.
I'm having dramas with getting the appropriate bass out of it.... yes yes I know the box volume isn't correct for the drivers because compact is everything..... for me anyway :eek: but a little more bass would be great!!!!!
Any tips or tricks?
It's running a pair of Dayton Audio nd91-4 full range drivers in the same chamber (separate to the top drivers) for the low end (the 2.1 amp crossover works wonders ) in a sealed 6mm MDF enclosure....Amp power is not an issue too :)

The chamber of the low end drivers are 180x95x85mm roughly... which is about 1453.5cm3 about 1.4L not including driver displacement.
I have tried porting the box and I do get a bit more bottom end BUT then It can only be turned up like half volume as it reaches excursion limits of the drivers. Sealed I can turn it up louder as the drivers are more controlled by the sealed box but it is too punchy and lacks the low notes. **can't expect to much bass out of little speakers :yikes:**

I know sealed is a bit more punchy but would a passive radiator work??
would ditching 2 drivers for one be better? as it halves the cone area but then it like doubles the box volume for that one driver :confused:
Any input would be greatly appreciated to finish this project :D

P.S. I do have the full spec sheet of the drivers if needed :)

Cheers
Hayden

How loud does it have to be?

The ND91s ported will do the job on their own in a small(ish) enclosure but we're probably still talking 4 litres for the pair. Can be modelled in WinISD. Between 1.5L-2.0L volume they'll drop into the 60-70Hz range.

Have you seem Paul Carmody's Sprite? The 91s will not drop as low but require much smaller enclosure.

Thank you so much for your help guys!! I did look at those links and builds and they did look very interesting... I will use those links for future projects :)

I think I have solved the problem..... believe it or not I stuck 4 coins on each driver cone and man did it make a difference!!!!! I mean the bass was a lot deeper/natural and it stopped it sounding like "beating a cardboard box" sound. The speaker box nearly vibrated off my test bench haha I suppose with the added weight it stores/releases more energy.
it's a bit hard to notice the difference on camera but I'll try and post a video.
P.S. I hope the added weight doesn't wreck the speakers haha

HELP!!!!
along the same lines of this thread but this is unchartered territory for me and I simply cannot use the info above to feel comfortable moving forward. I have a fairly heavy mdf old center channel speaker with (3.5") old paper drivers in it. plans are to add a bluetooth amp, battery pack, and upgrade the drivers. So far, I am leaning towards (2) Dayton ND91-8 drivers and the expectation that i need passive radiators to balance the bass.

Here are what I believe to be the needed pieces of info if one of you could point me in the right direction for radiator choice.

single chamber
inside dimensions are 11.25 x 3.75 x 5.0 inches which i have calculated to be .122 cubic ft or converted to 3.45 liters (so about 1.725 liters per driver). Can anyone assist with info on choosing the appropriate passive radiator? Thank you.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.