TL rebuild/rehab question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Please feel free to chastise me, whatever, but I have a TL question. I have read through some threads on it and frankly its a bit over my head.

My drivers and crossovers are fried in my JMLab Daline 3.1's: 5" dual voice coil mid and a 1" soft dome tweeter. Can't get replacements from Focal at anywhere near reasonable prices. Would like to re-use the nice-enough cabs that I have dimensions/schematics of. Really would like to enlarge the mid driver a bit to extend the low's some as the 5" was pretty light. Have attached schematics for the cabs and original xo in case that is helpful.

I can probably buy a kit from PE or Madisound and stuff the drivers/XO in the box but I think that shortcut may not be worth the effort.

Thanks for your kind assistance,
Brian

Attachments

• daline_box.gif
    daline_box.gif
    17.6 KB · Views: 73
  • daline_xover.gif
    daline_xover.gif
    7.2 KB · Views: 63
As far as the cabinet is concerned, just sticking a bigger midbass in it won't necessarily get you more usable LF extension -in many cases you'd probably get the opposite. About the best advice I can give you, since you want to recycle the box (understandable), is to use a midbass with an Fs, Qt & Vas as close to the original Focal units as possible. That way you'll get some consistency with what you're used to. For the tweeter & crossover -your choice re the former, & the filter will need to be designed from scratch. If you're not able to measure, use Allen's approach in the sticky thread here, or, assuming you select drivers where known data is available, use that, (carefully reprocessed for diffraction, step-loss etc.) for designing the filter. That isn't as good as measurements, but if done well, typically produces reasonable results.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.