Broken tweeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

two weeks ago I've got a pair of old two-way speakers for free. I connected them to my stereo console and they worked. Driven just by curiosity, I decided to open one of them and poke my head into it. I found two polarized (!) electrolytics (4µ7 in parallel with 3µ3) in the xover's 2nd order HP section and degenerated foam surroundings in the woofer. Then I lifted one leg of each 'lytic for measurement reasons and resoldered them.

Next I bought a pair of cheap (EUR 1.95) woofers of suitable diameter, same impedance and about the same magnet size, leaving open the option of refoaming the original drivers.

After reassembly, I gave the speakers a new try and immediately noted a muffled sound from the speaker that I had opened first. Further investigation led to an open voice coil in the tweeter.

What had happened here? Is this purely coincidence, as the tweeter worked first, prior to my fiddling in the xover network?

Best regards!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.