Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Help with speakers for newbie
Help with speakers for newbie
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd December 2017, 04:54 PM   #11
gfiandy is offline gfiandy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Andy, I think we are saying the same thing in different terms. I was not implying that I consider a speaker to be 95dB if it hits it at one frequency. It should maintain this accrossthe entire stated working range hence 95dB per W at 32HZ is going to be difficult to find.
Old 3rd December 2017, 05:12 PM   #12
jReave is offline jReave  Canada
diyAudio Member

These 2 designs should meet your criteria:

Tarkus - undefinition
diVine Audio | Ansonica

but don't go louder than about 105dB before xmax is exceeded and distortion and compression start to increase, at least in the lowest frequencies.

For a more effortless speaker at higher SPL, I would think you really need to double up your drivers in some combination of TMMWW or perhaps TMMW with a larger woofer. Kind of like these:

Speaker Design Works
Statements
diVine Audio | Canaiolo
http://www.zaphaudio.com/SB12.3/

but I think all of those will exceed your budget. Might be worth it. Or maybe somebody else knows of similar designs with less expensive drivers and can chime in. I'm assuming that you aren't capable of designing your own but of course I could be wrong there.
Old 3rd December 2017, 05:14 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Something like this might be a starting point eminance drivers dont sound bad, you are going to need a three way. Eminence Kappa-15LFA 15" Low Frequency Driver 8 Ohm

I find that the tweeter is the most difficult part to achieve very high efficiency withas compression drivers always seem to have a very harsh sound.

Two of these in parallel might give you enough sensitivity.

Morel CAT 378 1-1/8" Soft Dome Horn Tweeter

And for a midrange

Something like a pair of these Eminence LA6-CBMR 6-1/2" Line Array Series Sealed Back Midrange Speaker

I should point out that this will require a complex crossover equalise the response.
Old 3rd December 2017, 05:15 PM   #14
mazvydas1234 is offline mazvydas1234  Lithuania
diyAudio Member

Yes i understand the fact that just raising a singe frequency would yield 105db or even more easily, but currently i am flat till 45hz at 95db, minor dip at 160hz, and slowly increasing above ~6k, max 3db difference (tested with a profesional mic for frequency testing at my friends place), and my current system is definitely below 100$ for the speakers. So i was looking for a upgrade for my already incredibly good bang for buck system.

I enjoy metal, which only sounds right played loud, and i have alot of wattage headroom, so was thinking that some big, not so efficient speakers would be great for me.

I myself have tested alot of box designs, and really loved a three way system, with ported mids and sealed lows. So, what drivers would i need to choose that are ~ok in the quality, preferably around the same quality as i currently have, but get louder, expecially in the bass, since i can just add distortion to the mids if i want them louder, but bass is a hard stop at 95db.

Edit: gfiandy's listed drivers do seem about what i would want, but i have never designed a crossover myself, so i have no idea where to start with crossovers either.

Last edited by mazvydas1234; 3rd December 2017 at 05:39 PM.
Old 3rd December 2017, 05:17 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Just seen the designs posted by JReave, I would go with one of those much easier than trying to design your own.
Old 3rd December 2017, 05:30 PM   #16
andy2 is offline andy2  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfiandy View Post
Just seen the designs posted by JReave, I would go with one of those much easier than trying to design your own.
The OP requirements seem to be difficult to be had with any existing designs. He may have to design his own speakers.
Old 3rd December 2017, 06:05 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy2 View Post
The OP requirements seem to be difficult to be had with any existing designs. He may have to design his own speakers.
I think you need to perhaps read a little bit more about the Tarkus and the Ansonica. F3 in the 30Hz neighborhood, Xmax not exceeded on the woofers until about 105dB and both less than $600.

What did I miss?
Old 3rd December 2017, 06:09 PM   #18
andy2 is offline andy2  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jReave View Post
I think you need to perhaps read a little bit more about the Tarkus and the Ansonica. F3 in the 30Hz neighborhood, Xmax not exceeded on the woofers until about 105dB and both less than $600.

What did I miss?
I meant his budget constraints. I am not sure if those can be built for $600.
Old 3rd December 2017, 06:56 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy2 View Post
I meant his budget constraints. I am not sure if those can be built for $600.
Well...

Drivers for the Tarkus are about $200 at PE.
Drivers for the Ansonica are about $364 from DIY Sound Group and Madison.

Xo parts? I'll guess here and say that they'd be below $200 for either speaker. It's pretty hard actually to beat the value of the Tarkus given the OP's goals. And I'll just say here, that if the OP actually wants to hold onto his hearing for any reasonable length of time, you don't need anything louder than 105dB. Even that is really pushing things.
Old 3rd December 2017, 07:20 PM   #20
DiscoJones is offline DiscoJones  United States
diyAudio Member

The Tarkus is an excellent suggestion and easily meets all design goals. I've never heard them, but I've liked everything I've heard from Paul, so I'd expect them to sound great.

Dan

Help with speakers for newbieHide this!Advertise here!