Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Suggest a speaker build or kit for a newb...
Suggest a speaker build or kit for a newb...
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd December 2017, 01:40 PM   #1
paulys55 is offline paulys55  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Suggest a speaker build or kit for a newb...

Looking to build a stereo pair for my main listening room. I am in the United States and hoping to get some suggestions from those with experience. I have decent woodworking skills but have not done any crossover design or builds so would prefer to find a kit that includes pre-built crossovers or at least a schematic that will allow someone to build it for me (the crossover). Some of the ones I have considered so far include Zaphs ZRT 2.5, Earl Geddes Abbeys, and a few of Troels designs among others. These speakers will be run with a seperate sub (eventually multiple subs) so they don't need to go super low. Let me know if any more info is needed and thanks for the suggestions.

Budget: up to $2000 but would like to be around $1500 for drivers and crossovers
Room: current room is not ideal (suspended floor, carpeted, 18ft deep, 11ft ceilings and open on one side to the dining room) but will be moving soon so room is a non factor
Current equipment: NAD 375BEE integrated (150W x 2), MiniDSP 2x4HD, and a DIY Stereo Integrity HST18 MKii in a 4 cubic foot sealed powered by a Crown K2
Old 2nd December 2017, 01:58 PM   #2
Keruskerfuerst is offline Keruskerfuerst  Germany
diyAudio Member

Regarding the speaker units:
a) choose the speaker units (I can do that for you, if you choose a speaker shop)
b) use a kit

If you havenīt done any crossover design, then
a) let somebody else designs the crossover for you (I can do that for you)
b) use a kit

The own construction will sound much better than the kit.

Send me PM with your Email address, so I can send you the crossover schematic and the cabinet construction.
Old 2nd December 2017, 03:18 PM   #3
DiscoJones is offline DiscoJones  United States
diyAudio Member

This is a little over your budget, but is THE best speaker I've ever heard:

Spirit Wind, Bare Bones Kit (Pair) - Meniscus Audio

The tweeter and woofer are amongst the best in existence and J. Bagby did a stellar job with the crossover. I'm not a wordy dude when it when it comes to audiophilia, but it doesn't matter because I can't think of words to describe them anyway. They just give less reasons to doubt their fidelity than anything else I've heard.

For something a little more budget friendly, the CSS offerings are excellent for the price: Creative Sound Solutions | High End Speakers and Speaker Kits

Dan
Old 2nd December 2017, 03:35 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

It will take some time to construct the crossover and the cabinet.

Then you can choose between the kit and my construction.
Old 2nd December 2017, 03:50 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

The room is not very large.

If the next flat will be larger, then the speakers should be constructed accordingly.

So a 3 way speaker is more sufficient.
Old 2nd December 2017, 04:06 PM   #6
paulys55 is offline paulys55  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoJones View Post
This is a little over your budget, but is THE best speaker I've ever heard:

Spirit Wind, Bare Bones Kit (Pair) - Meniscus Audio

Dan
That looks nice and I've only heard good things about Jeff's designs. Any where I could find more details on the design? There is not much on the Miniscus site
Old 2nd December 2017, 04:54 PM   #7
ernperkins is offline ernperkins  United States
diyAudio Member

Another highly regarded Jeff Bagby design is the Kairos. Since you're using a sub these would work great. Meniscus carries the full kit with the premium crossover components and fully assembled crossovers for under $900 for the pair. IIRC it also comes with the cabinet build plans. LINK.

You could also look at Jeff's floorstanding Solstice kit including a flat pack cabinet at Parts Express.

Here's a LINK (see post 10) where Jeff compares several of his designs, including the Kairos and Solstice.

Finally, if at all possible, I'd recommend listening to any speaker before purchasing it. Every designer "voices" his crossover differently so one size does not fit all. Mark is a great guy at Meniscus (Grand Rapids) and he might have a pair or know someone in MI that would let you listen to the Kairos. Only Parts Express sells the Solstice, but if you ask on the PE Tech Talk forum I bet there's someone with Solstice speakers near MI that would let you listen to them too.
Old 2nd December 2017, 05:52 PM   #8
eriksquires is offline eriksquires  United States
diyAudio Member

Check out my own LM-1. Even if you don't build it, all the simulation and schematic files are available, so you can learn a great deal about crossover design and driver matching for free.

A Speaker Maker's Journey: The LM-1 Bookshelf Version
Old 2nd December 2017, 07:16 PM   #9
isaeagle4031 is offline isaeagle4031  United States
diyAudio Member

In regards to Jeff's designs, my prefrence in order: Spirit Wind, Kairos, Continuum (with a sub or 3way), Solstice. I've heard all of them numerous times as well as back to back.

The spirit winds do everything right. Crisp,detailed, and authentic. The replicate the media precisely. A sub may be needed for HT but not for most music. Much other same can be said of the Kairos with just a little less "air" on the top end. They do benefit from a sub or built as a 3way

The Continuum has become "legendary" for its signature midrange performance. The downside is that the Dayton rs28A is no longer available. Jeff is working with Meniscus on a replacement however.

The Solstice is a fine speaker and many find it quite good. It has solid well defined bass.
Old 2nd December 2017, 07:41 PM   #10
DiscoJones is offline DiscoJones  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulys55 View Post
That looks nice and I've only heard good things about Jeff's designs. Any where I could find more details on the design? There is not much on the Miniscus site
Unfortunately, there's not much available about these speakers. Jeff didn't distribute the info very aggressively because the woofers were difficult to obtain and not many people have built them due to the cost. I wouldn't expect anyone to take my word for it before dropping $2k on a pair of speakers, but as stated earlier, Mark at Meniscus is a great guy - give him a call and see if an audition is possible. I promise it will be worth it.

Dan

Suggest a speaker build or kit for a newb...Hide this!Advertise here!