What are your favorite drivers ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

1- TAD TD-4001
2- Maggie long tweeter (from the 20.7)
3- Aryton Senna, but that's different hobby

After this is more a mix of many things : filter, enclosure, amp, sources made huge difference : many speakers are good, most sources are not ! Listening room is a complex thing too.

Just my thoughts and experience, YMMV.

Peerless XT25BG or the Scanspeak equivalent - relatively inexpensive and very flat/natural and low distortion, though narrow dispersion.

Scanspeak 18W/4531 or 8531 for mid-woofers. Very warm, natural sound with extended bass in the right cabinets.

Mundorf AMT tweeters - Amazing dynamic range, easy to integrate, far too expensive.

1. GW-1858 - Open Baffle H-frame. For some reason, really fetching and great price.

2. Radian 745neo Beryllium. Wide bandwidth and good upper frequency for the size. Too expensive.

3. 15TBX100 - Good midrange for the size. Also good value as compared with other "hi-end" drivers. Not a looker.

These all have something going for them IMO:

646971d1511252578-suppose-shallow-vs-steep-argument-seas-u22-rexp-sl-jpg

646972d1511252578-suppose-shallow-vs-steep-argument-seas-27tbcdgb-dxt-jpg

646973d1511252578-suppose-shallow-vs-steep-argument-vifa_xt25_ringradiator-jpg

The Peerless 830875 and 830874 are nice cheap 6" drivers too:

Elsinore Nomex Drivers

All of them, apart from the XT25, work reasonably well on simple coil or cap filters too. Which is always a good mark of a good driver. Means they are flat.

Viawave GRT145 very detailed but super smooth sound (worlds first sealed ribbon tweeter); low THD, can be crossed low without showing signs of stress

Viawave RT850 great sounding and good value, perhaps more 'air' than its big brother. Built in waveguide helps w time alignment

Alpair 7.3 impressive alu cone full range driver, non fatiguing but detailed sound

Bandor 50 Tiny wideband alu cone driver with a holographic upper midrange. Built like a tank.

Dayton ES180ti beautiful looking woven cone and impressive motor design! Digs deep and has tight, fast bass( in my car doors)

SB17NAC35-4 decent value aluminium midbass driver. Ribbed cone with unusual geometry, can be crossed higher than you'd think. Great all rounder.

Scanspeak Discovery 26W 8534 10" great value woofer for sealed enclosures (f3 40hz, 89dB)

Last edited:
There are some great drivers mentioned above. My take is there are some very good drivers that perform way better than their price would indicate. So my high value list looks like

Small drivers
Tectonic BMRs. I even like the Tectonic TEBM65C20F-8 with the big 1,700 Hz dip
Fountek FE85, wonderful detail open baffle (on-axis)
Dayton ND90's and 91's, offer surprising low frequency response in a small package.
Dayton DCS165-4, good bass response in a small volume

Tweeters
Dayton ND25FA, surprising clarity
Peerless DX20, reminded me of much larger chambered tweeters.

Some of the Dayton RS paper driver might qualify as well

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.