What are your favorite drivers ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Most favorite tweeter...hivi planar, because its clean
Even lower hivi planars are good

I use ribbon tweeters too, but they needs more attention in crossover, steeper.

Little dayton 3/4" domes are great.
For upper mids, i used 2" dayton domes, very natural.

For reference mid, i use dayton aluminium reference series mids, 4", great sound.

Woofers...many...

lm.
Seas Excel T29D001 Diamond Dome Tweeters. The only problem is I can't afford them but other than that, perfect and perfectly symmetric.
BMS, B&C, 18Sound, etc.

Can't beat well engineered prosound components for good dynamic tracking with clarity.

Don't like horns? Try a compression driver without one and implement accordingly. Will get you dome like sound with much more output potential.
Hello,

1- TAD TD-4001
2- Maggie long tweeter (from the 20.7)
3- Aryton Senna, but that's different hobby

After this is more a mix of many things : filter, enclosure, amp, sources made huge difference : many speakers are good, most sources are not ! Listening room is a complex thing too.

Just my thoughts and experience, YMMV.

PhyHp H21lb15 with ESS air motion transformers because I have been listening to them for the last 14 years without any listening fatigue and always came back at them after experimenting with other drivers.

Second, Decca London Ribbons. Yes these do have horn colouration, after all they are old fashioned exponential horns but they are sooooo lush and detailed you simply can't stop listening to them.

I can't add much, with my limited experience in DIY speakers. But to echo Sjef, directly above, I have been owning/listening to high end speakers for 30+ years, and after owing monopole Heil AMTs, I would struggle to go back to anything else for the highs. Cymbals and voices sound more lifelike than anything else I have heard. With more attack, and perceived speed.

I think the ScanSpeak 5" Revelators are very tough to beat. I also think the SEAS Nextel cone speakers are fantastic. SB Acoustics are the best bang for the buck, pretty much across the board. Super high quality and sound at much more affordable prices than some others.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.