Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

What is "Paracross topology" xover?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st December 2017, 01:47 PM   #21
lisoformio is offline lisoformio  Italy
diyAudio Member

Here SoundStage! Hi-Fi | SoundStageHiFi.com - Sonus Faber Olympica III Loudspeakers there is an explanation of what at SF they intend for paracross topology.
Old 1st December 2017, 01:55 PM   #22
gpapag is online now gpapag  Greece
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenB View Post
So shunt components are irrelevant? This is how many DIYers used to talk, but a 'professional' appealing to a misconception, I'm not as sure.
Yes. This case under question can be tested with a simulator.

George
Old 1st December 2017, 02:00 PM   #23
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The RL high pass filter is one of the two oldest forms of high pass network, dating back to the 1890s. I've used it myself on several designs, as it's interesting and can have some useful properties, if you can cope with the compromises involved. Amazing they managed to patent it after a century of widespread use. Still, since people have managed to patent methods of faster-than-light communication through different dimensions (I wish I was joking), I can't say I'm surprised they managed to convince a patent examiner an RL high pass was not in fact a very early form of electrical filter, but something entirely original...

Last edited by Scottmoose; 1st December 2017 at 02:09 PM.
Old 1st December 2017, 02:03 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisoformio View Post
Here SoundStage! Hi-Fi | SoundStageHiFi.com - Sonus Faber Olympica III Loudspeakers there is an explanation of what at SF they intend for paracross topology.
So a variable slope design, most easily implemented as a notched 1st order. Not exactly what could be called a novel concept, given that it's widely used in many designs. Still, it does give the marketing people something to say, and that's more or less a requirement in today's commercial environment.
Old 1st December 2017, 03:35 PM   #25
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpapag View Post
Yes. This case under question can be tested with a simulator.
Any LT spice model of a tweeter?

George
Old 1st December 2017, 04:12 PM   #26
andy2 is offline andy2  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisoformio View Post
Thanks for the article ... something I can't read at work.
Quote:
Given my previous experience of Sonus Faber loudspeakers, it was intriguing to review the Olympica III. The earmarks of Sonus Faber speakers past are obvious: lavish woodwork, leather accents, string grilles, etc. But I could also see improvements in styling, and commensurate improvements in sound. That sound is still very distinctive -- thereís a sonic signature there, but one thatís far more natural and uncolored than the Sonus Fabers of yesteryear. Although my tastes lean toward strict neutrality, I not only greatly enjoyed how the Olympica III has been voiced, I loved the way it sounded overall. In my book, Sonus Faber is doing something very right.
It told me what I has suspected for a long time. Sonus Faber sold all there speakers previously based on beauty which is perfectly fine with me. I would gladly purchase a pair (if I had the money of course) and listen intensely with my eyes.
Old 1st December 2017, 04:13 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Hang about -are people seriously claiming that the shunt element of an RL high pass network is irrelevant? What drivel is this? To claim this is to say that the value of the shunt inductor, its DCR and any distortion present makes no difference to behaviour or sound. This is so beyond the pale of ineptitude it beggars belief how anyone short of a yoghurt could claim it. Inductor value, DCR and distortion all affect it. Really quite a lot.

Take one tweeter. Hold series resistor value constant. Change inductor. Surprise: behaviour changes.

01. Initial response
02. Same tweeter, resistor & inductor value; DCR of inductor increased
03. Same tweeter, resistor & different inductor value.

RL high pass circuits. Not exactly an aspect of electrical (or acoustic) engineering hitherto unappreciated by woman-born.

Shunt elements irrelevant. What utter bollocks. Give me strength.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01.jpg (53.3 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg 02.jpg (52.0 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg 03.jpg (53.6 KB, 120 views)

Last edited by Scottmoose; 1st December 2017 at 04:21 PM.
Old 1st December 2017, 04:41 PM   #28
diyAudio Moderator

Scott, we shouldn’t over react
The question is only if the quality (distortion-wise) of the shunting inductor plays a role.
It is obvious and out of question that it’s L and DCR value have an effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpapag View Post
Any LT spice model of a tweeter?
I will try to use this model found here (page 8, 9)
https://upcommons.upc.edu/bitstream/...nz%20Ausin.pdf

George
Attached Images
File Type: png LT Spice Loudspeaker model.PNG (78.2 KB, 121 views)
Old 1st December 2017, 04:54 PM   #29
andy2 is offline andy2  United States
diyAudio Member

It's funny reading all the very detail electrical analysis. I am sure in the Sonus Fabers board room the discussion is more like :
Engineer "we need to look into the notch freq. response"
Director "cool. Hey fancy marketting hot shot, how do we sell these speakers?"
Guy in Italian suit "Why don't we make it hot looking. Wrap some red veneer and put some nice spikes. And make it look tall".
Director "yeah, and throw in a coffee table brochure".
Old 1st December 2017, 04:59 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Of course distortion in shunt elements matters. This twaddle about them not being in circuit as much as series elements, & by extension unimportant, needs to be stopped.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 1st December 2017 at 05:01 PM.

What is "Paracross topology" xover?Hide this!Advertise here!