seeking rear mounted driver for front horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looks like I will have to change my position on direct radiators. That device looks as good as a CD, just less output - about 6 dB. It will have 10-12 dB less headroom, but in a home that may still be enough, but maybe not. It also doesn't go as low as a CD usually would. I can take a DE250 down to about 800 Hz.

The efficiency [...] is a function of the tweeter, 90ish depending on the model.

Cheers. 4dB may not seem like much, but I don't really consider designs <90dB.

I might (eventually) try something like this. It'd be a cheap way to try the multiple entry thing.

I didn't see anything about square throats there. Wrong link?

Looks like I will have to change my position on direct radiators. That device looks as good as a CD, just less output
Swell. That's how it should be, but often is not (allowing new information to alter a bias).

A heavy driver on a small mounting just sounds too weak for my taste.

IMO the horn itself would be the weaker link - particularly in my case, if I make a frankenhorn with a wooden mouth and a plastic throat. I should probably add a brace to support the driver, no matter which driver I go with.

If the screw-on attachment was weak, it'd cause lots of failures in pro audio coaxials. The horn driver on mine weighs 2.72kg, and it hasn't fallen off yet :)

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    467.2 KB · Views: 100
  • 2.png
    2.png
    442.6 KB · Views: 98
  • 3.png
    3.png
    421.9 KB · Views: 96
If the screw-on attachment was weak, it'd cause lots of failures in pro audio coaxials. The horn driver on mine weighs 2.72kg, and it hasn't fallen off yet :)

I'm not worried about the driver falling off, but the vibration of the driver mass cantilevered on the weak end of a horn. Coaxials don;t have the driver attached to just the horn end, but are mounted to the woofer so my concern doesn't apply.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.