ABEC experts - help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That is some serious gain! Which SSD?

Was the original disk an HDD?

/Anton

I upgraded from a SATA SSD.

The speed of modern NVMEs is INSANE.

Check out this review:

Sequential Performance - The ADATA XPG SX8200 & GAMMIX S11 NVMe SSD Review: High Performance At All Sizes

I'm running a ADATA XPG 8200 480GB. I paid $70 for it on Amazon. Throughput is 2.3GB per second. So that's about 15-20x faster than a conventional hard drive.

AIDA64 Memory Benchmark - Sandy Bridge Memory Scaling: Choosing the Best DDR3

To put that in perspective, DDR3 from about five years ago runs around 15GB/second.

Obviously, that's *significantly* faster than an NVME. But these ABEC data sets can become very large. A 32GB SO-DIMM for my laptop costs $200, and my NVME is 480GB for $70.

@Patrick, i know from CST microwave that it really depends on the size/complexness of computational task, whether it makes a difference or not, to add some HW to go down with computation time. E.g. we know that bringing tesla M60 to the system made litlle to no difference on CST, cause transferring data to GPU makes it worse with tasks under 1 million of tetrahedrons (2pcs xeon, 56threads, 128GB DDR4).

At this point I would like to ask you about more details - what task was it, where you cut the time from 2hours to ten minutes ?

I know that in this case- if it took 2 hours on quad core ryzen - it was something bigger.
But anyway - just wondering if it would make so much difference on my old sim PC (8 core xeon, 32GB DDR3) or not.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.