DIY Floor Standing Speakers Help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys, i am currently in the process of designing a pair of floor standing speakers for a home cinema setup. Im stuck trying to work out which impedance each speaker needs to be in order to keep the total impedance per channel between 2-8 ohms so that it is compatible with a Cerwin Vega CV-900.

My problem is that each cabinet contains 5 speakers: 1 tweeter, 1 upper Mid range, 1 Mid range and 2 Woofers. what impedance would be needed for each speaker and how would i wire up this many speakers to keep within the target impedance?

Thanks for reading, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• xuqScGP.jpg
    xuqScGP.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
So would wiring it like this work? Or is there any other way i could do this?

Thanks for reading, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hello Ben,

Not to guess, a substantially better way is visualizing what an impedance plot would have looked in a nice simulation software, for example XSim. Then take some Dayton Audio drive units as if you were to use these, for practicing only, because there are ready made impedance and frequency response files ( frd, zma) that you can upload to XSim and build some filters right away. For starters you don't have to bother with proper simulation procedure, just have a taste what it might become of it. 4 way project is a lot of work to get right. Maybe it would be just the right thing if the drivers were the right kind. Fir instance, 2 x 12" woofers, 1x6.5" midwoofer, 1x2" dome midrange and 1x3/4" tweeter. I don't know, whatever makes you happy, to paraphrase the late Bob Ross, ingenious TV painter.

Do you really need a 5 driver per speaker set-up? If you have not designed any speaker before I would recommend starting with a basic 2-way in a floorstanding configuration. You will surely have less headaches and difficulty than starting off with a 4-way or 3-way. Round it off with a subwoofer and it would be good.

Ok, i understand what you are saying but surely if i wire two 4ohm woofers in series and treat them as a single 8 ohm, if everything else was 8ohm and i was sending everything 400 watts from the amp, then everything would be reviving 100watts each. But because there are two woofers they would only receive 50 watts each. would this not make them a little under powered compared to everything else?

Lojzek, i was planning to send 400 watts to each cabinet because it has to be dispersed between 5 different drivers. if you think this is too much then i will lower it.

A power distribution might be like this, 2 woofers(330W), 1 midwoofer (40W), 1 midrange (20W) and 1 tweeter (10W). May or may not present a problem, but I design loudspeakers conservatively, so leaving a good margin of safety may be beneficial.

I'll help you simulate something not too shabby. Please provide makes and models of drivers.

To be honest more speakers don't mean better sound and I'm not a fan of 4way speakers. But who cares about my opinion from what you said I think it should be fine. Just make sure you keep the impedance above 4 ohms per drivers you plan to use. And no if you tweeter is 4 oh it won't matter at all with the woofers impedance. It doesn't work that way.

Most amps overheat when the impedance drops below 4ohms. Especially with low frequency drivers.

Last edited:
50 watts to the tweeter! You'll drive away every cockroach for a quarter mile radius! Your dog will really hate you, too. :p

Seriously though, build a two way. You obviously don't understand impedance, efficiency, crossovers, etc. No offense, but marketing bull-jive is designed to confuse you. It is not engineering.

Take the help that's offered you. Lojzek is going to help you simulate drivers. This is a great exercise that will hopefully impart some insight.

There are many problems with multiple driver configurations that you're not ready for. Even some commercial designs have serious drawbacks.

So good luck.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.