Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

DIY Floor Standing Speakers Help!
DIY Floor Standing Speakers Help!
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th November 2017, 09:50 PM   #1
BenHealey is offline BenHealey  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default DIY Floor Standing Speakers Help!

Hi guys, i am currently in the process of designing a pair of floor standing speakers for a home cinema setup. Im stuck trying to work out which impedance each speaker needs to be in order to keep the total impedance per channel between 2-8 ohms so that it is compatible with a Cerwin Vega CV-900.

My problem is that each cabinet contains 5 speakers: 1 tweeter, 1 upper Mid range, 1 Mid range and 2 Woofers. what impedance would be needed for each speaker and how would i wire up this many speakers to keep within the target impedance?

Thanks for reading, any help would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xuqScGP.jpg (91.7 KB, 174 views)

Last edited by BenHealey; 19th November 2017 at 12:41 PM.
Old 19th November 2017, 03:04 AM   #2
BobtheBuilderMLG is offline BobtheBuilderMLG  United States
diyAudio Member

What? lol. So if you have to woofers per speaker and they are 4ohm wire them in series and that will give you 8 ohm. If you connect them in parallel you can cook your breakfast on your amp so win win.
Old 19th November 2017, 08:15 AM   #3
Lojzek is offline Lojzek  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenHealey View Post
So would wiring it like this work? Or is there any other way i could do this?

Thanks for reading, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hello Ben,

Not to guess, a substantially better way is visualizing what an impedance plot would have looked in a nice simulation software, for example XSim. Then take some Dayton Audio drive units as if you were to use these, for practicing only, because there are ready made impedance and frequency response files ( frd, zma) that you can upload to XSim and build some filters right away. For starters you don't have to bother with proper simulation procedure, just have a taste what it might become of it. 4 way project is a lot of work to get right. Maybe it would be just the right thing if the drivers were the right kind. Fir instance, 2 x 12" woofers, 1x6.5" midwoofer, 1x2" dome midrange and 1x3/4" tweeter. I don't know, whatever makes you happy, to paraphrase the late Bob Ross, ingenious TV painter.
Old 19th November 2017, 01:02 PM   #4
idaho is offline idaho  United States
diyAudio Member

Do you really need a 5 driver per speaker set-up? If you have not designed any speaker before I would recommend starting with a basic 2-way in a floorstanding configuration. You will surely have less headaches and difficulty than starting off with a 4-way or 3-way. Round it off with a subwoofer and it would be good.
Old 19th November 2017, 01:08 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Ok, i understand what you are saying but surely if i wire two 4ohm woofers in series and treat them as a single 8 ohm, if everything else was 8ohm and i was sending everything 400 watts from the amp, then everything would be reviving 100watts each. But because there are two woofers they would only receive 50 watts each. would this not make them a little under powered compared to everything else?
Old 19th November 2017, 01:18 PM   #6
Lojzek is offline Lojzek  Croatia
diyAudio Member

If you are to send 400 Watts to the speaker input, then heavens help you, maybe you should consider PA drive units technology.
A Test. How much Voltage (power) do your speakers need?

edit: Has anyone noticed, since not so long ago, we have been given a company of a lurker giving away one star thread rating for some reason. lol

Last edited by Lojzek; 19th November 2017 at 01:28 PM.
Old 19th November 2017, 01:26 PM   #7
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenHealey View Post
if everything else was 8ohm
But the midrange is 4ohm, what do you plan to do about that?
Old 19th November 2017, 01:29 PM   #8
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojzek View Post
Has anyone noticed, since not so long ago, we have been given a company of a lurker giving away one star thread rating for some reason. lol
Hadn't noticed, how much better is one star than no stars?
Old 19th November 2017, 01:31 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Lojzek, i was planning to send 400 watts to each cabinet because it has to be dispersed between 5 different drivers. if you think this is too much then i will lower it.
Old 19th November 2017, 01:33 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Scottjoplin, ignore that diagram, it was only an idea and i have since realised it was a stupid one. i do not have any drivers yet and thats why im asking what impedance would be best for each one and how to wire them correctly for a total impedance between 2-8 ohms

DIY Floor Standing Speakers Help!Hide this!Advertise here!