Max SPL of a loaded box?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a question regarding max spl output of a speaker box. Let say I have a 2 way box frequency response from 37hz to 21Khz max output of 137dB.

Does that mean I'm able to get 137dB out of it given the correct amplifier at full range of play back 20hz to 20Khz or is the box rated at a certain frequency not full spectrum?

Last edited:
I have a question regarding max spl output of a speaker box. Let say I have a 2 way box frequency response from 37hz to 21Khz max output of 137dB.

Does that mean I'm able to get 137dB out of it given the correct amplifier at full range of play back 20hz to 20Khz or is the box rated at a certain frequency not full spectrum?
Most manufacturers rate "Max SPL" as a peak at some frequency presumably within the pass band of the speaker within the rated power, with no power compression, that is, "cold" voice coils. The peak could be much shorter than one that would be read on a typical SPL meter.
Reducing 10 dB (or more) from the rating often gives a more "real world" rating.

Most manufacturers rate "Max SPL" as a peak at some frequency presumably within the pass band of the speaker within the rated power, with no power compression, that is, "cold" voice coils. The peak could be much shorter than one that would be read on a typical SPL meter.
Reducing 10 dB (or more) from the rating often gives a more "real world" rating.

Thank you, I kind of figured that I just needed to confirm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.