improvements parallel cap construction for crossover network

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Certainly there are differences in capacitors but these differences are minor when it comes audio frequencies. There are far greater differences between drivers of the same make than the miniscule differences in capacitor types. Adding additional capacitance to a value by bypassing it will simply reduce the overall reactance and thus one might hear a change by reason of that.
Very small added values of capacitance make an insignificant change percentage wise, but if one is straining to hear a difference one may well hear a slight difference because of auto-suggestion at work. If it doesn't produce an obvious change why bother pursuing such insignificance. Life is too short for such nonsense.

C.M

You have ability to tune the capacitance with parallel caps, assuming a stereo setup. If you have 4 caps that are +/- 10% tolerance, they might be 0.92, .98, 1.02, 1.08 in value but when rolled appropriately you can get two equivalent caps of exactly 2.0 each.

No one is disputing that point, but it is somewhat easier to do with capacitance than it is with inductance and inductance with its inherent winding resistance is a greater variable with off-the-shelf inductors. Crossover overlaps are gradual at the crossover point so a more precise matching of components better than 5% is hardly a worthwhile pursuit, particularly when driver mismatching can be much higher than that.
If that is not enough, two identical loudspeakers in a stereo setup will sound differently anyway due to room acoustics and positioning variability.

C.M

No one is disputing that point, but it is somewhat easier to do with capacitance than it is with inductance and inductance with its inherent winding resistance is a greater variable with off-the-shelf inductors. Crossover overlaps are gradual at the crossover point so a more precise matching of components better than 5% is hardly a worthwhile pursuit, particularly when driver mismatching can be much higher than that.
If that is not enough, two identical loudspeakers in a stereo setup will sound differently anyway due to room acoustics and positioning variability.

C.M

My Scanspeak drivers are pretty tight tolerance. Still, measuring the inductance and resistance with multimeter revealed a 3% variance between drivers.
Using caps with similar variances allows for matching the driver mismatches, so to speak.
I do get a slight improvement in centre fill, and perceived depth of soundfield.
Jantzen aircoil inductors are easy by their gluing process to buy a little larger, and unwind for the wanted mH values.
Maybe I should have read this thread prior to placing a cap order for some inexpensive red Audiophiler MKP caps, to hear if two 2.7uF caps in parallel sound as good as a single 4.7uF Mundorf Supreme, since i wanted to filter slightly deeper, and if two red 1uF caps in parallel sound as good as a single Ampohm tinfoil paper in Oil cap.
I also wanted to hear if there'd be any improved coherence, since i also use two 100uF caps to filter the midrange driver.
At least it won't break my bank account if there's no audible improvement.

Hi. Is there any advantage to using multiple small capacitors, instead of one large capacitor, in a crossover network.

I'm wanting a 3uf capacitor for a tweeter, should i use one 3uf, or 3 x 1uf. Also, is there any point to adding a small 0.2uf teflon to the parallel stack. Some people are reporting good results.

The capacitor i am thinking about is the k71-4 polystyrene nos from russia, and ft-3 teflon

Thanks

If you want to experiment, I suggest the Audyn TrueCopper 0.1 uF as a bypass. Cheap (~$20) and I've had good results. If you can't hear an improvement with that, don't bother with others.

In terms of using parallel construction, for larger caps ( > 5uF) I have sometimes found that parallel construction helps. Very brand specific. Clarity CMR is one that does this, but unfortunately it also means you'll end up paying ~ $30 more than buying a single larger cap.

In general, with any high quality cap at 3uF I wouldn't bother trying to build it up from smaller caps.

Best,

E

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.