the electrolytic in speaker crossover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a dynaudio contour 1 mk2 speaker pair. mk2 has an impedance and phase correction circuit.

They are getting old and in that crossover there is an electrolytic cap. My amp can drive anything including speakers with no compensation and short circuits but should I worry about drying caps, does the performance also go off specs...?

Is that electrolytic capacitor used in:

1. an impedance correction circuit that is connected straight to the amplifier and has nothing to do with the crossover filter?
2. the crossover filter?
3. an impedance correction network that is connected straight across a loudspeaker driver?

In the first case, a dried up electrolytic capacitor will have little influence as long as the output impedance of the amplifier is low (as it is for most amplifiers with over-all negative feedback). In the second and third cases, a dried up electrolytic capacitor will definitely affect the frequency response.

I have a dynaudio contour 1 mk2 speaker pair. mk2 has an impedance and phase correction circuit.

They are getting old and in that crossover there is an electrolytic cap. My amp can drive anything including speakers with no compensation and short circuits but should I worry about drying caps, does the performance also go off specs...?
Yes, any change in the effective value of any of the caps will change the sound of your cabinets.
That said, the cap you show is completely likely to be perfectly fine.
You could change it for a new cap of the same value BUT changing caps Makers/Models/Dielectric Type WILL change the sound of your cabinets, maybe better, maybe not.
For some reasonably economical fun you can experiment with swapping the original bipolar electrolytic with other Makes/Dielectric Types and compare, keeping in mind keeping the ability to revert to 'factory' condition.

Dan.

Hello, A couple of things.

1. According to research done by Cycil Bateman (articles can be found online) show that electrolytic caps that are biased, give erratic results. Even from the same batch.

2. He also shows that the more current (voltage across) the electrolytic, the further from ideal it performs.

3. Cap in series with a loudspeaker is likely handling significant current. Electrolytic's are less linear the more current they have to handle, have more distortion as a result and dry out quicker from the heating involved.

4. Personally, polyproplene caps that are so much better can be had for very reasonable prices. No real reason to us a electrolytic.

1. According to research done by Cycil Bateman (articles can be found online) show that electrolytic caps that are biased, give erratic results. Even from the same batch. .................
This published data seems to be missed by most readers.
I have not seen any new evidence refuting C.Bateman's conclusion that it is better to NOT bias the junction of back to back electrolytics.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.