Do you rotate your speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Do you turn your drive units through 180 degrees to counteract the effects of gravity on the suspension over time? If so, how often? I did it on some old KEF bass drivers when the voice coil started rubbing. It did the trick, for a while ;). I wonder whether this is good idea to do with all drivers periodically, intuitively it seems so.

If the manufacturer thought it necessary I would imagine they would have a mention about it in the speaker info that came with the speaker. Large systems....never seen or heard a mention on it. I would think if you have a problem with coil drag its probably time to do something with the driver like a recone or diaphram replacement.

If the manufacturer thought it necessary I would imagine they would have a mention about it in the speaker info that came with the speaker. Large systems....never seen or heard a mention on it. I would think if you have a problem with coil drag its probably time to do something with the driver like a recone or diaphram replacement.
Sorry, can't follow the logic here :confused: I can think of a couple of reasons off the top of my head why they wouldn't mention it :spin:

It's a great question...one I've thought about a lot since building a PPSL sub that puts the drivers in horiz position, because I was warned about cone sag doing so.

I contacted the driver manufacturer (BMS) and was told, "yes be concerned with sag...the voice coil weighs over half a pound."

After thinking about sag situations and doing bit of research, I've come to the conclusion that any larger drivers with heavy-ish coils, or lighter-ish cone/suspension structures, probably need periodic rotation, especially when they leave vertical alignment. But that many (most) home audio drivers probably don't.

On the PPSL subs, I run a small DC voltage, 0.7v, on the drivers when subs aren't in use.
This lifts the coil the right amount to offset the gravitational sag.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.