Help with GCSE project?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I'm doing a speaker for my GCSE product design course work and I was doing research into some components and I've come up with these:
Woofer x2
Amp x1
Tweeter x2
Power Supply x1
Crossover (DN-4 3-Way Passive Crossover) x2

I was wondering:
  • Does the crossover put out 100W to each Tweeter AND Woofer (Answered)
  • Would I need a Mid? (Answered)
  • Do I need a LPF and a HPF ? (Answered)
  • And any improvements?
  • How many watts does the crossover put out each way? (Would I be better off getting lower watted speakers?) (Answered)

Theoretically I would like 100w going to each component.
I would also like to have it at 8 ohm.

Also what would the Wattage be rated at?

How could I incorporate a Bluetooth module and power it?

Many thanks to anyone that can answer any of my questions :)

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
:cop: Welcome to the forum, your thread has been moved to Multi-Way Speakers.

Your questions indicate that you have very little idea of how crossovers work - that's OK, we all started there are some point. :) But before the other members jump in, I'd advise you to do some reading and studying on crossovers. A passive crossover is a frequency dependent voltage divider. It does not send 100W to each component, that's why it's there in the first place, because you don't want all the signal going everywhere.
Also, speakers don't use full power all the time, like a light bulb - far from it. In fact it's always changing, which is what makes the sound.

Those are your basic errors, and where you should do some reading on the subject. I'll leave it to other members to point you to materials where you can learn and gain some understanding. Once you have, you'll be in a much, much better place to design your project. Good luck!

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
All the information you need is here, and much more.. so much that it's difficult to know where to start :eek: Maybe worth saying that Watts are not a part of many speaker topics here due to relevance, they tend to be used by manufacturers as a conversation starter.

To touch on some of your questions, if you use a reasonable tweeter and don't use a massive woofer then you probably won't need a mid. There are many things for and against but you can certainly build an excellent speaker without one.

Using both a low-pass and high-pass filter is a matter of doing what you must to blend the drivers. If you ask what is the absolute requirement, the high-pass filter protects the tweeter from damage so is rarely optional.

You might look into boxes. Closed are easy and are very good but others are available. Consider rounding the edges..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.