High-power mid w/ mb12n351 ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, could use some guidance and direction on a high power box that I want to cover from 100-700Hz.
Pls forgive a bit of a lengthy explanation....

So to convey why I think I want to build this, it might be easiest to describe where it fits into my system.

I've been using two somewhat similar designs as main speakers (>100Hz)... both of which I'm very happy with.
The first is the Peter Morris DIY box on soundforums 60 Degree DIY Mid Hi - Sound Forums
It uses a BMS coax CD to cover from 650Hz up, and a pair of RCF horn loaded
12's" to cover 100-650Hz.
The second box is JTR's 3TX Noesis 3TX
which also uses a BMS coax CD to cover about the same 650Hz up range, but uses a pair of direct radiating, vented 10's" to cover down to 100Hz.

I've gotten pretty decent at tuning the DIY with a 3-way active FIR setup, so recently I pulled out the 3TX's passive crossover, and set the 3TX up active 3-way as well.

I tuned them nearly identical and the boxes now sound very similar.
The DIY has a smidge better high end (and can play about 10dB louder).
Whereas the 3TX has a slighty cleaner 100-650Hz to my ears.

I'm thinking the bends in the DIY's horn loaded 12's" are maybe the cause of why I prefer the sound of the vented 10's" a little better........

Anyway, I have up to 4 RCF mb12n351's RCF - MB12N351
that I would like to experiment with, and build a high power box to cover the 100-650 Hz range.

I'll build a separate box for the BMS coax,
so basically I'm just looking to put the 12's in a box of their own that will sit on top of my subs,
with the CD box on top of the one I'm building for the 12's.

I'm thinking it will take 3 of the mb12n351's in a direct radiating, vented box, to equal the output of two of them as used in the hornloaded DIY.
Reasonable thinking??

But I'm open to any design that's also trying to maximize sound quality.

I used hornresp to build some vented subs that worked out great, but that's my only experience with the program.

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks mark

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.