Seas L15RLY + 27TFFC

A Kit L15 doesn't seem to be listed on the SEAS website. Where did you purchase this kit and did it have a crossover?

The crossover for a 2 way using a hard metal cone is a challenge. The main problem is how to prevent the large resonance being driven to an audible level and to do it in a way that doesn't cause a range of other problems. What don't you like about your current speakers?

Here is xover for Zaph project 12 (Seas L15RLY/P and Seas 27TFFC). The guy who drawed it used TDFC but kept the original Zaphs xover.

Attachments

• Zaph project 12.png
    Zaph project 12.png
    10.4 KB · Views: 805
The crossover for a 2 way using a hard metal cone is a challenge. The main problem is how to prevent the large resonance being driven to an audible level and to do it in a way that doesn't cause a range of other problems. What don't you like about your current speakers?

The 27TFFC is a fabric dome, not metal, and has a very smooth response, so should be easy to design a crossover for.

I use a pair in my Troels Gravesen-designed SEAS 3-Way Classics. Excellent, balanced sound from these tweeters.

Alex

I don't know where you've "bought" this kit since it was free for quite some time and available on Zaphs website - but Zaph did decent job suffocating the resonance. This is measurement of my L15 in 17.6cm wide cabinet with Zaphs xover from your image. Resonance is not an issue here.

Attachments

• skretnica.png
    skretnica.png
    51.3 KB · Views: 512
Last edited:
Do you have the same crossover?

I bought this kit in a store

Is this a Zaphs crossover?

Yes this is Zaphs crossover. With mild change of values of resistor. Everything else is the same.

I have different crossover because i use different tweeter and approach but with the same goal - flat frequency response and as low resonance of aluminium cone achievable.

But i used my measurements to simulate your (Zaphs) crossover. And it works quite well. If something bothers you i believe it has more to do with the tweeter. I'd try with 5 ohm series and then listen.

If you want to push the resonance even more, ad few components. R2 and C2 to be exact. C2 you can make by connecting 47nF and 33nF in parallel. It's quite cheap and brings improvements. It looks like this:

Attachments

• ???????????1.png
    ???????????1.png
    36.7 KB · Views: 370
  • ???????????.png
    ???????????.png
    53.1 KB · Views: 358
  • ?????????.png
    ?????????.png
    6.8 KB · Views: 370
Last edited: