MW16P Crossover Point

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Fernando, I did not have a chance to listen to them side by side, and what I remember, differences were quite subtle. I expected TW29 to be more sensitive to changes of listening point, as horizontal polars would indicate, but high frequncies were very good even off axis. It might be caused by the fact that I do not have any special room acoustics treatment. I would pick SS6600 at this moment, as I had lived with them longer and I was fully satisfied. I do not know if it was caused by MW16P or SS6600, just midrange was wery rich, full, vivid and detailed. Also bass was very good for small 2 way speaker.

Rick, I would hope they would be a good step up. As smooth as those drivers were, they were heavily mechanically damped and not the most dynamic even when new. Age did not treat the P13 elastomers well. They sounded beautifully when I lived in New Jersey but after a half year in storage while I moved south the deterioration started.
Would you suggest the Satori 5" over the 6" as a midrange? Have you had any experience with the SB 5" polypropylene version?

I've used all three. The poly version is very good for the $. I like the 5" Satori mid for 3-ways. For a 2-way the 6" IMO is the better choice.

Linesource, here is a picture of the Scan Speak 9500 in its own baffle that can be placed above the cabinet. I will most probably replace it with an SB29RDC.

Attachments

• Scan 9500 in baffle.jpg
    Scan 9500 in baffle.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 337
I checked your site Rick. I really like the looks of that Essenza. Can you elaborate a little on the design and crossover? The drivers are not only top notch but the design is gorgeous.

Thanks - Lee Taylor deserves the credit for the cabinets. Scan Be tweeter, Satori 5" midbass (the midrange version wasn't available yet). Dual MW19 Satori woofers. Well-behaved drivers so good flexibility with crossover points.

I have to say though that the SB23 is the nicest modeling 8" woofer I have seen. Reasonable volume with good lf extension. ... I have to say that the thought of ditching the subs and just doing a standard 3 way with Satori mids with a side firing SB23 had crossed my mind.

SB Acoustics sells a 4-ohm(Re=3.3ohms) 8" woofer SB23NRXS45-4 with a 92db sensitivity. Your powerful solid state amps will easily drive a Zmin = 3.5-4ohm speaker. If you put your speaker cabinets against the rear wall like most home theaters, this single 8" woofer will be a close SPL match to the Satori MR13P-4 with 91db sensitivity, or 90db 5in SB15MFC30-4. The SB26STC-C000-4 dome tweeter has 91.5db sensitivity, and good SPL curves for a 2.4-3Khz crossover. The 2.8" diameter faceplate on the NeoMotor SB26STCN-C000-4 allows a 0.5" shorter C-to-C, and hence reduced lobbing.

If you have decided to use LR2 crossover circuits, then a crossover around 2.5kHz sims best to attenuate(-20db) the high frequency cone breakup on most 5" midrange drivers.

If you still plan to side mount your 10" woofer, then consider the style of the Lansche 4.2 cabinet. The attractive simple bevel cuts will reduce edge diffraction, and the shape would adapt to a 45-degree angled stepped-down front tweeter baffle section.
======
Troels measurements in his stepped baffle study suggest:
1) A round baffle shape with chamfered 45 deg edges performs best.
2) It is very important to minimize the Center-to-Center distance between the midrange and tweeter.
----Your 2-box designs will always have a larger C-to-C than my example in post #17

Stepped Baffle Study

Attachments

• 8_5_1_LR2.JPG
    8_5_1_LR2.JPG
    207.6 KB · Views: 317
  • Lansche.jpg
    Lansche.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 325
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.