Restoration

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
so this ones you mean ? VIDEOTON 25 cm-es MELYSUGARZO PAR nagymagneses - Vatera.hu
I think they need also the rubber suspension to be changed. Btw , I've seen alot of vintage woofer with rubber surrounding replaced but, isn't that going to change the fs of the driver signiffically? The older ones like heco, canton etc had more like a rubbery surround as the new foam replacements are like spongy polyurethane or something...
I have also the option to replace the woofers with these ones:
DIFUZOARE 10"(25)cm Noi noute PENTRU Unitra Tonsil Altus Tineret Heco Bucuresti Sectorul 5 • OLX.ro
the seller has only good words about these ones but unfortunately he cannot give me some specs for them :(
Also he has the woofers from Heco Superior 600 speakers like this one: Tieftoner HECO SUPERIOR 600 | eBay
Indeed Wega's have rear mount woofers so will use some kind of gasket if needed.
Eelco, what project have you used the Videotone's for ?
Kay can I ask please if the measurements where made in the circuit or with the woofer disconnected.
Thank you for the help !

Kay, I asked you that because I've measured myself the mid and the tweeter that I have. In circuit they measure both 1,5-1,7 ohms but by themselves the tw is 5,4 ohms and the mid is 3,8 ohms so close to 6 ohm and 4 ohm. I agree with you that the woofer hasn't anything in parallel but other that 10 Ohm resistor which is coupled with the capacitor and should'd change anything in DC but only AC ? Still... 3.2 ohms seems suspect low for a 4 ohm driver ?
Anyone with some specs on Heco Superior 600 woofer ?

Best regards !

If I correctly understand, your Rumanian advertisement shows Tonsil GDN 25 series woofers. The Fo of the Tonsil 25 cm series woofers are significally higher (35-40 Hz in reality) whereas Cms is lower at approx. 0.5mm/N. than your originals, making them imho less suitable for relatively small closed boxes.

Hi Eelco, thank you for clarifying about the surround suspension. If I will need something like that for a pair of Videoton I will certainly ask you for details.

The Romanian advertisement is for a pair of Pro-Tech XA-125 Taiwan made Poly membrane etc. which are suitable for replacing tonsil, heco or other 10" woofers. Unfortunately I don;t know their specs other than power and dimensions. It;s about this woofer: Pro tech XA 125 10 Bass Subwoofer 250mm • - PicClick DE
If anyone has some experience with this XA-125 please let me know.
I searched for Tonsil woofers but not one suitable for this kind of application, many good ones for vented enclosures dough !

Later this day, when I'm at home again, I'll have a close look at this epay offer. For now I suspect you'll need 4 ohms devices, as said before.

Replacing the foam surroundings will just cost you affordable 20 to 25 EUR for the complete material and about 1 hour of labour per speaker. I did this very successfully at my pair of WEGA lb 3520's and another pair of compact bookshelf speakers made by Grundig.

Best regards!

I guess this will have to do :
Got them at 44 eur including shipping. They are original Heco-s that have the same dimmensions with TC-245.
The rubber suspension is perfect, but one of the woofers has it's dust cap folded in. Can you guys reccomend a way to get that dust cap back as it was or do I have to change those two dust caps witha new pair ?

Regards

They are 3.4 Ohm DC so I guess pretty close to the originals in that respect. Thank you Kay!
The woofers come from a pair of Heco Precision 300 speakers Heco Precision 300 | Audio Dynosaurs | Pinterest. The precision 300 also have the cuttof freq for the woofer at 700 Hz and 25Hz response...pretty sweet, so I guess theese are the perfect compromise.
I guess I will change the dust caps on both with some black new ones.
Can anyone reccomend me how to get that outer sealing ring because the woofer needs to be mounted from inside the box.

Cheers

Hello muzyk_ant.

As Kay Piranha stated, these woofers are way over-priced. 10 Euro a pair is already too much.

Living in Amsterdam, more than once have I found much better loudspeakers literally on the sidewalk, waiting for the garbagemen to pick them up the next morning.

As for the rings: you can either use 6 mm MDF and saw them with a jig saw, or use thick card board. Card board can be cut with a Stanley Knife.

Good luck,

Eelc

Hi Eelco, well the thing is that I found them close to me and they arrived in one day. I know they are overpriced and for this price I would be glad to find some new woofers replacement but unfortunately "they don't make them as once did" :).
Tell you a secret... those loudspeakers that you see on the sidewalk for free are collected by Romanian "friends", they bring that back and sell those for 100-500 eur a pair :( God I hate those good fellas :(
WIll try to cut a cork gasket from a thick sheet if not a card board of some sort... Thank you for the ideas !
Regards

Hi Boden,

I had referred to the over-priced epay offer of defective woofers in post #28. I'd also pay 44 EUR for a pair of suitable and working drivers, though, if I'd wish to get the existing, but not complete speaker pair working again. We sometimes do things that can't be explained rationally :).

@muzyk_ant: As you won't see the woofers through the front grille and as the damaged cap still will just work as a dust cap without any sonic impact in the region below 700 Hz, you also may leave it as is. First replace the cardboard rings, 2nd install the woofers, 3rd listen and enjoy :).

Best regards!

Quote by Muzyk_ant:Tell you a secret... those loudspeakers that you see on the sidewalk for free are collected by Romanian "friends", they bring that back and sell those for 100-500 eur a pair :( God I hate those good fellas :(

Funny thing is, these fellas have proven to be unable to recognize AR 3A's, AR 4's, some KEF's and a pair of Celestion Dittons 66.....

You must be a very lucky fellow, Boden ;)!

Btw, perhaps I should have added that I like those WEGA speakers very much, especially by their design. As said some posts above, I own pair of lb3520's (version unknown, 3-way, 8" woofer), lb3521B's (3-way, 10" woofer), and lb3522C's (4-way, 12" woofer). The latter ones are in daily use at the moment. The 3520's and 3522's share the design with the OP's pair (aluminium-like front grille, anthrazite coloured body), the 3521's are plain white. The 3520's are both as tall and as wide as the 3521's, but only half as deep. WEGA suggested them to be mount to a wall and provided appropriate holes at the back. No surprise, they lack some bass response.

Best regards!

Allen, no more rainy days till next year for me :) so maybe a snowy don;t go to work day :p
Eelco, these fellas don;t distinguish a mini fridge from a speaker so don't ask too much :)
Kef , Dittons thrown away... well.... lucky you :)
Kay, 3520 sealed speaker but not so sealed ? well my next diy project will definitely have in mind some 12" compression/sealed woofers :)
These Wega speakers are very interesting as design ... as the corners are all rounded up, maybe they did know about the cabinet difraction after all? The thing is I wanted to ask you guys about this protection grill. Will this drilled grill influence sound as some sort of sound diffuser Planet Of Tunes - Acoustics at some freqencies or it doesn;t matter at all being so close to the sound source?
Kay I know the protection grilles are glued to the speakers but I wish to make them mine removable ones. What about a comparisson bewthen this tipe of grill and the tipical cloth grill?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.