Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Polar response - speakers vs acoustic sounds
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th October 2017, 08:17 PM   #21
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieLaub View Post
The reason is that you cannot only listen to the recording when played through loudspeakers, but are forced to listen to the recording PLUS the "room sound"
Depends on the room. If you listen in a hypo-echoic lava cave, like I used to, room sound isn't a problem. Not sure how much polar response makes a difference there as I only ever used open baffle (dipole).
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaslo View Post
True, but I'd go a little further. Given a stereo recording I think you even NEED room sounds of some kind to give any illusion that you're actually in a room where music is being performed.
From my experience in the cave, and other very dry acoustics, I'm kinda on the fence about this one. Maybe it gets down to semantics. In the hypo-echoic cave, the sound was always at, or behind the speakers, never in front or coming into the listening space. But the sound could go back very deep, deeper than I've ever heard, and with layers of depth. The classic "Window on the Sound". The sense of the recording venue space was astounding, even on old mono recordings. But it did completely lack a sense of envelopment, so much so that I was about to install surround channels to juice it up a little.

So I might agree that I never felt completely "in" the recording venue, but more like the venue stretched out in front of me, behind the speakers. That's a trade off I'll gladly take, but I wouldn't mind having my cake and eating it, too.
Old 4th October 2017, 09:20 PM   #22
graaf is offline graaf  Poland
diyAudio Member

seems to me that for many people loudspeakers as headphones is the goal

it can work but not without CTC, head-in-a-vise and processing, ambiophonics comes to mind

basically just as antisocial as headphones themselves
Old 4th October 2017, 09:29 PM   #23
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I've read that a lot - speakers as a sort of giant headphone. But for me it doesn't sound like that - headphones never sound outside of my head and never have any real sense of space like speakers do. As nice as good headphones can sound, the sound is always small and claustrophobic to me.

Polar response - speakers vs acoustic soundsHide this!Advertise here!