High end audio: look more sound

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Although it is arguable that all Ferrari’s over the years are all great mechanically, however what is most certain that all Ferrari’s over the years have all looked hot and sexy like a supercar should be. On the other extreme, Lamborghini cars have never been all that great but indisputably they all look good in the Lamborghini sort of way.
So I here say that for high end speakers, looks are actually more important than sound. I’ve seen a lot of good designs optimized for sound, but ended up looking so dreary that I wouldn’t want to look at them, let alone hearing them.
IMHO, a set of speakers either high end or not should be optimized to look good first then fine tune the sound to match the acoustic.

Last edited:
Beautiful........

Attachments

• homepage.jpg
    homepage.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 481
one only need look in the mirror after stepping out of the shower that realize that FFF definitely has its limits, or should we say "shortcomings"

scott - in its day, the DQ10 was quite a piece alright - is that mirror imaged pair your own? As I recall it was the wax on the XO that was the messiest part of the modification. I owned both ESL57 and DQ10s - about 5yrs apart, and vastly preferred the Dahlquists.

I'm not sure I'd call Ferrari's Mondial Cabriolet 'hot and sexy'. An appalling mess, yes. The coupe version was marginally better, in the way that some parts of the Titanic are marginally less underwater than others. While for all its track success and historical importance, the 250 LM wasn't exactly a looker either; it looked like somebody had grafted the back end of one car onto the front end of something completely different. And don't even get me started on the berk who ruined the 512TR by sticking a couple of puffer-fish headlights and a ridiculous little smiley face grill on the front end and thereby created the F512M. I cannot conceive of the mind of the man who drew that, stood back from his drawing board and said 'Mmm. Yes. That's the look. A good afternoon's work done there'.

Last edited:
It's not just "looks" with respect to aesthetics, it's the finish/build quality that really seems to attract journalists and purchasers:

..it's why Magico is doing as well as it is, and why Rockport has steadily improved its sales and loudspeaker line-up.

Basically if your product has that very precise machine finished look for EVERYTHING, it's more likely to sell (..so long as it sounds good to you and the aesthetic is a reasonable match to your expectations).

..btw, looking at most of the build quality on "How it's Made", Ferrari is one of the worst manufacturers IMO. (..don't get me wrong, when they "dial-in" performance on certain models they are excellent in that respect, it's just their "fit and finish" leaves a lot to be desired throughout the production process.) Lambo/Audi on the other hand has really excellent "fit and finish", but it wasn't until several years after Audi made their purchase.

Last edited:
Is this what's in your mirror?

No, and forum rules definitely prevent any description or cocktail napkin sketch approximating what's in that mirror.

Of course things look much better before you put your tri-focal progressives on to shave .

scott - with a decent front end (Kenwood KD500 / Decca tonearm/ London MkV cartridge) and enough power -( Quad 405 or monoed Bryston 2Bs - they were thirsty little prima-donnas) they floated an image that I came to understand later described as "holographic". Mind you, there was still some inhaling goin' on those days, but for my money they definitely outperformed the Celestion Ditton 66s, EPI150s, and except for sheer volume and bass extension, stacked large Advents.

..btw, looking at most of the build quality on "How it's Made", Ferrari is one of the worst manufacturers IMO. (..don't get me wrong, when they "dial-in" performance on certain models they are excellent in that respect, it's just their "fit and finish" leaves a lot to be desired throughout the production process.) Lambo/Audi on the other hand has really excellent "fit and finish", but it wasn't until several years after Audi made their purchase.

I think Ferrari was fine tuned machine that needs more care and attention than others. Nothing feels like a Ferrari. It's a league above other supercar. The 911 GT3 may be just as fast but the 458 is just more special.

getting OT with talk about "supercars" could be huge fun, and devolve into a list of personal preferences - so here's my total fantasy
just on the raw performance specs of power to weight, I kinda like the idea of the One:1 - Koenigsegg | Koenigsegg

Of course for $3 million, you can brag about 0-400-0 in 42 seconds in an actual production vehicle (Bugatti Chiron)

None of these are a daily driver, though - for that the Tesla S would probably be on my short list - along with whatever our German friends come up with next. There's a couple of BMI8 in town, and it's definitely one of those - "looks far sexier in real life than on the 2D screen"

Last edited:
So I here say that for high end speakers, looks are actually more important than sound.
what is high end? 100k, 50k, 25k?

maybe if you talk about speakers costing over 25k which imo makes no sense anyways, people who buy speakers over 25k, yes they buy for look, prestige, exactly like buying a ferrari to look cool in front of others.

but for the speakers under the 10 or 20k range, they have to sound good in order to sell.

if you look at the hype about Tekton, that should tell you that most audiphile dont care about looks.
people who spend over 25k for speakers... not too sure how much they are music lovers.

Last edited:
but for the speakers under the 10 or 20k range, they have to sound good in order to sell.

I am not too sure about that. Most speakers are chosen by wives so you could almost guess how that will go. Even the low end speakers are designed to look attractive first then sound later. Interestingly enough, especially low end speakers, it's almost entirely depends on looks.
For hardcore audiophiles, I could see the priorities might not be as clear cut but those are very few (and weird).

getting OT with talk about "supercars" could be huge fun, and devolve into a list of personal preferences - so here's my total fantasy
just on the raw performance specs of power to weight, I kinda like the idea of the One:1 - Koenigsegg | Koenigsegg

Of course for $3 million, you can brag about 0-400-0 in 42 seconds in an actual production vehicle (Bugatti Chiron)

None of these are a daily driver, though - for that the Tesla S would probably be on my short list - along with whatever our German friends come up with next. There's a couple of BMI8 in town, and it's definitely one of those - "looks far sexier in real life than on the 2D screen"

The ONE sure has the speed but I think it's a little bit of a one trick pony.
I don't think its drivetrain is as seductive as a Ferrari. The ONE is about
brute force where as Ferrari is about the art of driving and much more multi-dimensional.

I'm not sure I'd call Ferrari's Mondial Cabriolet 'hot and sexy'.

Depends on what you compare it with.

The Mondial is very sexy compared to the carbuncle that was the '80 TestaRossa, the single most hideous thing to ever leave the Modena factory.
But then I have not liked the looks of a any Ferrari since the 288GTO except Eric Clapton's custom SP12 but £3million is a bit steep for me.

As for speakers I like those to be ideally invisible but failing that I'm ok with visually unobtrusive.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
'80 TestaRossa

Guess it is a matter of taste, i don’t mind this one. My tastes are more towards the McLaren or Aston Martin, but for day-to-day practicality on real worlsd the all wheel drive Tesla S is appealing, really fast 5 door hatchback with near the room of a van, yet capable of 0-over the typical speed limit in 3.2 sec. And it is only the 1st availabe of a new generation of electric vehicles that benefit the electic motor's full torqur from zero character.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.