Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Good inexpensive measuring amp?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd October 2017, 08:27 PM   #11
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Define entry level price range - that and "audiophile"* grade might be mutually exclusive?

Rotel A12? A pretty nice feature set from someone who's been in business for a while

I recently acquired one of their RC1570 pre-amps - very nice piece.

*a loaded term for some folks - at the last remaining bricks and mortar retailer of any consequence, that usually means a total system starting in the low 6 figure range - and as far beyond that as membership in your cohort demands .

many more recommendations to follow, methinks
Old 2nd October 2017, 08:36 PM   #12
Pano is online now Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

As much as I love Class-D amps, you might want a Class-AB chip amp for this. Class-D uses and output filter that will alter the top end response if it's not adapted to the impedance of the speaker. That would skew your measurements at the top end.

You can find some good ideas in the Chip Amp forum right here on diyAudio
Old 2nd October 2017, 08:46 PM   #13
fatmarley is offline fatmarley  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcducttaper View Post
I've got a Dayton UMM-6 calibration mic, but I suspect it's not measuring correctly. I've measured a couple speakers and tuned them as flat as I could on paper. Once that was done, I'd sit back and play a track through it. Every time, they always sounded hollow and....not flat.
That's something that happened to me when I first started out (hollow sound). Once my measurement and crossover design skills Improved, the hollow sound disappeared.
Old 2nd October 2017, 08:49 PM   #14
kcducttaper is offline kcducttaper  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
Define entry level price range - that and "audiophile"* grade might be mutually exclusive?

*a loaded term for some folks - at the last remaining bricks and mortar retailer of any consequence, that usually means a total system starting in the low 6 figure range - and as far beyond that as membership in your cohort demands .
You got a point there. I keep forgetting a bunch of you all have audio budgets as big as my whole house budget...

I'm not really sure if this works on amps like it does on speakers, but I'd like a tolerance of <= +/- 1dB from 20Hz-20kHz....if that's a thing in the amp world...? I'm guessing not because of impedance plots and things like that, but hopefully that helps.
Old 2nd October 2017, 08:51 PM   #15
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

The volume at which you tuned them flat could be the reason for the sound not being to your liking when listening to music
Old 2nd October 2017, 08:54 PM   #16
Andersonix is offline Andersonix  Sweden
diyAudio Member

You might even get 10W in class A without fans from an Adcom GFA 5200. A Nelson Pass jewel!
Old 2nd October 2017, 09:07 PM   #17
DiscoJones is offline DiscoJones  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
As much as I love Class-D amps, you might want a Class-AB chip amp for this. Class-D uses and output filter that will alter the top end response if it's not adapted to the impedance of the speaker. That would skew your measurements at the top end.
Pano is spot on here. Stick with Class AB amps for your measurement rig. The Dayton APA150 is a decent choice and it has some handy features for testing like the volume control and the built-in switchable lowpass. I don't love it for demoing though. It always seemed a little anemic to me. I personally use a Parasound Zamp for testing due to it's small size and flat FR. At 30W per channel, it's plenty for testing and you can pick them up for around $100 used.

Dan
Old 2nd October 2017, 09:25 PM   #18
kcducttaper is offline kcducttaper  United States
diyAudio Member

Sounds like I've got some solid advice to go with class AB for testing and even some good suggestions to check out. I certainly don't mind going with an AB for my test rig as a flat FR is definitely prioritized over size in this application. Thanks for the input!
Old 2nd October 2017, 10:18 PM   #19
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

The APA150 is s decent enough sounding, and fairly compact piece. I found the built-in crossover and mono option to be very handy. I'm currently running a pair bridged to power dual small HT woofer enclosures . I've only heard a couple of small Lepais, and would definitely agree with your assessment. Another compact decent sounding little rig is the Topping TP30; its onboard DAC is not hurtful, and the nominal 15W are enough for small desk-top speakers - I have one at both work and home, driving Fostex FF85WK.

At the other end of the spectrum are the DIYCLASSD N-Core or UCD modules for those inclined to roll their own. No personal experience with those, but the reputation is excellent.

Then there's Tom Christiansen's LM3886 products - I've heard both the LM3886DR and Modulus86 in my own system - very, very nice - but by the time you get a chassis and the other hardware, it's into the several hundreds of dollars at least. So the next question is "budget?"
Old 2nd October 2017, 10:32 PM   #20
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

I missed Pano's excellent comments re ClassD output filtering stages compromising your measurements. As I don't personally do measuring, that's not something that'd be of concern, and none of my various classD amps give me enough grief in that regard to worry about (one advantage of late middle aged hearing loss?).

The Tom C ( Neurochrome) LM3886DR is worth a look - take time to read his Taming the LM3886 Chip Amplifier
and the specs for LM3886 Done Right

Not an arc-welder, but very clean and quite a compact build.

Good inexpensive measuring amp?Hide this!Advertise here!