dual-woofer orientation: horizontal or vertical???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am redesigning and rebuilding an old pair of Bozak B-199 woofers [two per cabinet, dedicated cabinet, satellite enclosures to house the mids and tweets]. Crossover frequency is 600Hz. The cabinet will be floor-standing and use a modified truncated pyramid design [90-degree front face]. I have a choice for orienting the woofs either horizontally where both are near the floor or vertically where only one is near the floor.
  • What are your suggestions for orientation?
  • What are the advantages and disadvantages for each?

Two woofers in a horizontal orientation near the floor are marginally better in the efficiency (floor gain) than a vertical orientation - not enough for a firm recommendation.
With 300 Hz crossover you can use either orientation. If your mid speakers can handle that frequency, it is a better choice for the sound quality.

The acoustic center of vertical duals is between the two, so ideally needing a ctc spacing = ~7.2" with 12" + whatever size the mid is may be hard pressed to be a 1/2 WL apart.

Placed in the lee of dual horizontally opposed 12" butted together is the way to go, but ideally needs all to be in the same cab.

GM

Got a little of this but some the terminology is new to me.

Got that the c-c distance between the 12s should be about 19.2", right? Or am I off base here too?

The rest is a bit hazy so I want to make sure I got this straight.

First, are you referring to the "dual horizontally opposed" arrangement as what I know as an "isobaric" configuration? If not, please elaborate.

Next, the phrase "Placed in the lee" has got me stumped. It probably has something to do with the configuration you suggest so I am hoping you can clear this up.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
\Got that the c-c distance between the 12s should be about 19.2", right?

When you talk c-c you are considering the distance between the midTweeter and the woofer (or the woofer & the tweeter or …)

First, are you referring to the "dual horizontally opposed" arrangement as what I know as an "isobaric" configuration?

No. dual horizontally opposed = push-push or 2 woofers in one cabinet with woofers opposed (opposite polarity) in terms of reactional arrangement and in-phase electrically. Cabinet size is twice that of one woofer.

Isobarik is two woofers cavity connected to act as a single driver. box size halves.

Simple illustration attached shows isobarik configurations, the 3D visulaization is a simple push-push arrangement.

push-push-illustration1000.png

dave

Attachments

• isobarik-configs.gif
    isobarik-configs.gif
    18.4 KB · Views: 226
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.