Bass section

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all
I have a bass horn (50hz - 450hz) below my mid - hf horn. The sound is fantastic but I need a sub and the bass horn is pretty large. It's a quarter pie corner horn from the klisph forum but I run it vertically.
Would love to have something that could cover the full 30-450hz range that I could build into a good looking support for the mid horn as well as sound good over this range. Maybe a transmission line?

Doesn't have to be as efficient as the horn as I'll bi amp with a minidsp for EQ.

Any ideas?

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I would take the opportunity to spatially balance the lower bass using multiple monopoles. I wouldn't try lowering the horn cutoff if it reaches below 80-100Hz already, because this would add compromise and wouldn't work any better with the room.

The bass horn as it is now rolls off sharply below 50hz which for a lot of music is fine but you really do need the lowest octave.
More than happy with the sound but I'd like to make something that doesn't look so big, these come into the room a lot, around 1.3mtrs.
Multiple monopoles, how do these look/ work?

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
You could build the horn into the corner using the walls. If the horn is exponential you can't use all three (side and rear wall and floor) like a triangle as this is not a correct termination, you'll want to keep part of the horn open to expansion beyond the mouth, but you could save some space this way.

Normal boxes are monopoles, and they can be arranged to manage room modes, especially in the middle lower bass region, considering that a corner bass source can strongly excite these modes. However if you are satisfied with your bass you could simply add a sub. A good place for a sub that only produces the lowest octave could be in the corner.

Since you are running the horn down to cutoff, the response may have delay (phase) issues that make it harder to cross over to.

Thanks, just thought I'd post a picture of how things are now. The 340hz Azura horns sit on top of the Klisph quater pie bass horn. Just looking to get away from the bass horn as it's too big, This runs from 50-450hz. Would really like to build a box bass enclosure, volume could be large as I'd use this to support the mid horn.

So really just need some recommendations for a driver and enclosure volume that would work with horns. Maybe need to use bass and lower mid driver.....

Ideas please.

Cheers Dave
32f6cd4da91b6f729c62fa80de2652b7.jpg

Just based on what you said and shown here so far, i think you almost answered what I think i would do for this:

Build some boxes to where your horns would mount on top about the same height and go with like an 8" mid dedicated and dual 12" for lows(or maybe one 15") per channel.

The box should still have a decent depth if fully sealed that will keep the box stable (will you supply current to the drivers with Solid state or Tube?-not sure because I see a couple devices there),but if you like that horn sound maybe Open Baffle Mid/Low?
too many questions arise with what you mentioned so-far :)

The other folks could recommend the drivers by what you are able to acquire down under, but that always depends on your budget and active/passive crossover resources you have/want to use.

Open baffle.... Maybe something simple to try.
I thought a sealed box was said to be better for bass? I could be completely wrong but I also thought we only used ports to reduce the box volume?

My plan would be to keep the tube amp driving my mid/hf horn and my minidsp and 4 channel SS amp to drive the bass arrangement.

So really all I need is driver and box volume recommendations....

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
quater pi bass horn.
If this is true then it belongs backed up against the wall..
that would work with horns.
The size of the woofer should be chosen to match the horn. You should consider the 90 degree beamwidth and cutoff frequency of the LeCleach, you need these details first (you could use hornresp.exe), and set your crossover frequency by these. Then select a woofer size to match the beamwidth at that frequency.

although I don't think it would be louder down low than a regular 6th order assisted reflex , a Karlson 15 run per Exemplar makes an articulate subwoofer and an existing K15 can be modified with no cutting of the cabinet.

Two 3" ID PVC elbows would mount to a board which covers the port and that board screwed and sealed over K15's port. That drops the system tuning from the mid-upper 40's to around 29Hz. A low fs Altec 515 or 416 is used. Apply some boost at Fb, xover as usual where it sounds best with the upper speaker.

always brace K15's back panel. Even a single strut from the rear shelf is pretty effective. The wings can be easily braced with struts extending from the front shelf. (I've used 3.5" long pieces of dowel rod)

when built to spec, the mod is reversible, leaving all the goodness of K15 :D

http://i.imgur.com/GDJegwz.jpg

http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/vsac20082/exemplar2.jpg

a tall, folded ~20Hz path tapped pipe with good 15 would be interesting too. Driver needs to be offset to prevent a deep notch. This pipe for a cheap 12" is around 5 foot tall. That aperture is squeezed too much for playing sine wave but fine for music. Ask TB46 to calculate a 15" version if you've a woofer in mind.

http://i.imgur.com/Grsk1az.jpg

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.