Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Isobaric frequency limits?
Isobaric frequency limits?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd September 2017, 05:41 AM   #1
Bill poster is offline Bill poster  Thailand
diyAudio Member

Default Isobaric frequency limits?

I'm aware that isobaric loading is mainly frowned upon here, but there's one driver id like to try it with, when funds allow, clamshell
Here Satori WO24P-8 Woofer

Several reasons why this driver may suit; it is fairly sensitive, it goes down to 25hz f3, it needs a big cabinet and the basket looks alot nicer than the cone!

Main question is, if front facing with floor gain, where roughly would I need to cross?
Old 22nd September 2017, 07:24 AM   #2
chris661 is offline chris661  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I'd say when the distance between the bottom of the cones is 1/4 wavelength, you'll need to crossover. That's assuming, of course, that the effects of the basket and magnetic structure is negligible.

Chris
Old 22nd September 2017, 07:28 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks Chris for answering. Would you say a 250 hz crossover is doable?
Old 22nd September 2017, 10:48 AM   #4
chris661 is offline chris661  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I'd expect 250Hz to be fine.

An alternative would be to use isobaric loading, but not in a clamshell arrangement. You could then roll off the inside woofer and let the outer one radiate as high as you like.

Chris
Old 22nd September 2017, 11:12 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hey that's interesting, never heard of that approach. Is that something Wilson Benesch or Linn have done?
Old 22nd September 2017, 01:49 PM   #6
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Yes. That's the configuration used in the Linn Isobarik and Sara. An expensive way of reducing box volume requirements.
Old 22nd September 2017, 02:32 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Terrible sketch but this is kind of how it would be. A 3 way with the clamshell recessed slightly into the cab. I want the baffle to continue down and over the front of the bass driver magnet, with enough of a gap to install the two bass drivers. Then the down firing port would run down the back of the cab. Click the image to open in full size.
Old 22nd September 2017, 09:05 PM   #8
john k... is offline john k...  United States
diyAudio Member

I've never figured out the drive behind using an isobaric configuration. Sure you get 1/2 the volume for the rear enclosure, plus the volume of the isobaric chamber so it's not really 1/2 the total volume. It is, on the other hand, 3dB less efficient, whether you connect the drivers in series or parallel. makes more sense just to find a driver with the same Fs, Qms, Qes, 1/2 the Vas. You will have truly 1/2 the box volume and the same 3dB lower efficiency.
Old 22nd September 2017, 09:51 PM   #9
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

Just mount a 10 or 12 on the side...Qtc up to 1 or so for a sealed is fine, and a sealed with Fc ~35 goes a lot deeper than you think. Venting any small box tuned low is problematic. You can get a lot of driver for $400 that will work better in the application.
Old 23rd September 2017, 01:00 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john k... View Post
I've never figured out the drive behind using an isobaric configuration. Sure you get 1/2 the volume for the rear enclosure, plus the volume of the isobaric chamber so it's not really 1/2 the total volume. It is, on the other hand, 3dB less efficient, whether you connect the drivers in series or parallel. makes more sense just to find a driver with the same Fs, Qms, Qes, 1/2 the Vas. You will have truly 1/2 the box volume and the same 3dB lower efficiency.
Pretty sure two in parallel will give the same output but requires more power to do so ie 4 instead of 8 ohm load. Thats what I've read, correct me if wrong

Isobaric frequency limits?Hide this!Advertise here!