Morel MW168 & Vifa D26NC05

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I finished soldering my crossovers and installed the system in my daily-driver yesterday.

Woofer: 6" Morel MW168
Fs:44hz
QTS:0.41
Vas: 16L
Xmax: 3.5mm peak
Sens 1w/1m: 88db
Voice Coil: 75mm
Imp: 4ohm

Tweeter: 1" D26NC05 Textile Dome
Fs:1800hz
Sens 2.83v/1m: 91.5db
Voice Coil: 25mm
Imp: 6ohm

Crossover: 3khz @12db; tweeter attenuation: 6db. I used Solen poly caps, and Madisound Standard Air Core inductors. Mounted on a Madisound 12db circuit board.

I opted to pay Madisound the $25 for their LEAP crossover design. Oddly enough, their values were not far off from what I was going to do from my own calcs (without test equip). They ended up modeling a nice roll-off without a Zobel as you can see as well.

I've attached the schematic, and the impedance and repsonse graphs.

For listening tests, I installed one side first, then compared to what I had installed on the other side: A McIntosh MSS650 system which retails for $950. (And incidentally uses the exact same Vifa tweeter ! - but marked McIntosh of course). I'm powering them with a Zapco 350 (100w ch.) The first thing I noticed was how well the Vifa and Morel imaged together. I mounted them in the stock locations, which meant a god 1.5' of spacing between the drivers, and the distance to my ear 1m or so; the attenuation was perfect. The tweeter I had already fell in love with on the McIntosh system. I dont like a harsh tweeter, but like accurate highs, and this tweeter is terrific. The MW168 has a poly cone and rubber surround. It has a very shallow mounting depth (2.28") which is ideal for auto apps. The mids are silky smooth. The bass isnt quite as punchy as nearly all of the other woofers I've installed reveal, but that is a good thing, I see this woofer's low end roll off giving a better flat reponse in-car. The bass is quite good; equal to the 6.5" McIntosh woofers in spl, but better in quality. From Midbass-midrange spl increases greatly, without sacrifice to quality (75mm VC).

I was expecting great sound out of this combo, and got the best 2-way components I've ever heard. Needless to say, I'm more than pleased. With the payment for the x-over design, cost was under $300USD with shipping and all.

Unfortunately during installation, my soldering iron rolled under my car, and I set my hand on it - I've got 3rd degree burns on my middle 2 fingers, and I have to see a plastic surgeon because of possible contractures. That is one image I wont attach though - not that I didnt think about it.....:D Well, it will give me an excuse to buy a real iron, with a station, and retire my el cheapo.

Attachments

• morelvifa_crossover.jpg
    morelvifa_crossover.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 421
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.